The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a young hog (parents were caught and the sow had piglets) that we butchered yesterday (she was killing my ducklings).

I'm wondering if anyone has some good recipes to do with the meat. We got a good bit of meat off of her and I know they're planning to grill some of it, but I was wondering if any of you had any good recipes?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Pulled pork: put a roast (a tough one is fine) in the slow cooker with 1 cup of juice (I use apple cider or apple juice or some kind of berry mix) and one cup of chicken broth (boullion and water is fine if that's what you have). Cook for several hours. I put a frozen roast in at about 9am and cook until 5pm or so. But longer cooking is ok too. Remove the roast from the crockpot and shred it with tongs and a fork. Put it in a big bowl. I take about a cup of the cooking liquid out of the crock and let it settle. I skim the fat off the top and pour it over the meat. My favorite way to use this is to put barbecue sauce on all of it and have sandwiches. Then, with the leftovers, I chop the meat smaller and add green chiles. Put the mix between two tortillas with cheese and make quesadillas. The BBQ, cheese and chiles make a great combo! Another great use is to put fajita seasoning on it (after it is cooked) and make pulled pork tacos with your favorite fixings. I have also made a Brown gravy out of the cooking liquid, returned the meat to the gravy and served over mashed potatoes or noodles. Hmmm....think I will go get a pork roast out of the oven......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds awesome! I'll definitely suggest the recipe to my family. My husband loves pulled pork but we've never tried to make it ourselves.

We grilled some of the meat last night and it was great. The meat had a good flavor.

Thanks for the recipe!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.