Hola from Oregon!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AlgediFarm, Jun 25, 2010.

1. AlgediFarm

AlgediFarm New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi there! My name is Kalee and I run a small herd of Nigerian Dwarfs in Southern Oregon under the herd name of Algedi Farm. I've been into goats for about eight years and absolutely love it! I wish we had found our caprine friends earlier! <grin>

I show and do linear appraisal, and I'm looking forward to participating in a One-Day Milk Test mid-July.

You can see my kidlets at http://algedifarm.com/

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and hopefully learning a bunch! I'm always happy to talk goats (especially bloodlines!), so feel free to chat me up anytime!

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Welcome to the Goat Spot Kalee! Sounds like you might have some good advice to offer here. I think lots of people here have Nigerian Dwarfs. I have a little herd of Kinder goats.

Jan

3. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    :wave: Welcome to TGS!

I've heard a lot about you through the goat grapevine -- I know Sarah down here in Northern California, and I've gotten a number of goats from her, too. My first herd sire (Gobi) is by your Rosasharn Sitka Spruce, out of Sarah's Lost Valley Infinity. I just shaved him for the first time today (he's a yearling now) and there was a beautifully angular dairy boy buried under all that fluff! (Although I have to say, I miss his beautiful mane.) His legs hadn't been looking as straight as I'd like, but it turned out to just be fur making them look that way, phew. He's still teenage looking of course, but has a great level rump, strong legs, and a really high, wide escutcheon.

Anyway, since you mentioned bloodlines -- this particular Lost Valley/Rosasharn combination seems to have turned out very well. Gobi's first kids are already on the ground, looking quite nice, and I can't wait to see them grow out and freshen next year. How are Sitka's daughters' udders looking?

Also -- just wanted to say I'm a fan of the bloodlines you've chosen to bring out here, and what you do with them! I was at REDGA this year and hoping to see some of your goats because Sarah said that you had come in the past, but it was a pretty Norcal-focused show this time around...

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hi Kalee!! So glad you've joined us! I've checked out your website several times. You have some beautiful goats!

Feel free to jump right on in and start posting. ;)

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Kalee, So glad you joined us :wave:

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    hey kalee.. i think i've had some talks with your mom. glad you found us :p

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Kalee! Glad you joined :wave:

You will find that a bunch of us here have Nigies...I myself just 3 but many here that have big herds!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome.... so glad you are here.... :welcome:

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome to the group! :wave:

10. AlgediFarm

AlgediFarm New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! I look forward to getting involved.

Farmergal - I hope everything you've heard has been good! <grin>

Sounds like you have a well bred little buck. I hope he produces lots of beautiful daughters for you.

In regards to the Sitka daughters, three out of four have been nice. You can see two of them here (scroll down to Bee and Odesa): http://www.jasperpinenigeriandwarfgoats ... ehtml.html . I would be willing to wager they have nice rear udders when viewed from the side, I think their owner has their back legs parked out to far. Another one (littermate to Queen Bee) freshened with a very disappointing udder - bulbous teats and I've been told poor attachments. The fourth daughter I have not seen bagged up, but it looks like her udder is stuck on well and she actually has smallish teats.

I guess the real test will be seeing all the Sitka daughters Sarah Hawkins has freshen. My feeling is the icky udder is a fluke since no buck is 100%, but we'll certainly see.

I did retain a Sitka son for myself this year (out of Splash O' Honey), and he is exceptional. I hope to use him this fall.