Holland lop crossed with Flemish giant

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by KST Goat Farm, Sep 22, 2020.

1. KST Goat Farm

KST Goat Farm Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    I am thinking about getting a Flemish giant male and a Holland lop female. I will have 2 huches. What I am wondering is if it would be a bad idea to breed them? The female would be the smaller one. Some things I have read say that the kits are all the same size when they are born so it is not a problem. Does anyone have any experience? Thanks.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Absolutely it would be bad. The female should always be the larger one.

3. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Can you just reverse it? Flemish giant female and Holland lop male? I'd love to have a Flemish giant some day! The idea of a rabbit the size of a dog sounds of fun!

4. KST Goat Farm

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    The Flemish giant that I want to get is a male. The Holland lop I can get a male or a female. What I am thinking now is i will get two males a Flemish and a Holland and keep them in separate hutches. Eventually I might get a couple females of their own breeds, to breed with them.

5. KST Goat Farm

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    Would a California female and the Flemish giant male still be bad?

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I wonder if the milk demand for a giant would be greater than a smaller breed.

7. ksalvagno

Why would you want to create a mix? What are your plans for selling rabbits? Do you plan to eat them? Don't just get rabbits because you can get something now. Be honest with yourself on what you want to do with rabbits. What happens if you can't sell any of the babies? Flemish Giant don't make a good meat rabbit so breeding to a Californian will reduce meat.

8. Lindan

Lindan Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I have a flemish giant male and two French lop females.
    We breed them for meat, they give good meat and their fur will hopefully be great when I have had time to actually have it processed.
    I don't know what a Holland lop is sizewise compared to a French lop, but my Frenchies are pretty close in size to my giant, at 5kg(~10lbs) to his 6kg(~12lbs).
    We don't sell our rabbits, we only breed for food, and only in amounts we can guarantee are comfortable while alive.

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    The meat to bone ratio of a flemish is crummy. They are big and big boned and the meat is about the same amount you get from calis and nz. Plus you will feed more to the flemish to get it to grow out. We looked at those when we wanted meat rabbits. We went with cali and new zealands. We do grow ours out a bit longer than most people do. But i can feed us two meals from one rabbit most times too.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  10. KST Goat Farm

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    I understand what you are saying. The main plan is just pets for my little sister. She wants a Holland lop but my brother wants a Flemish giant. I found some people close by who have some for sale.
    My idea was to breed them and sell the little ones. Also I would not be opposed to eating them. I am not sure what the demand for rabbits is like around here. The demand seems to be pretty high if you go by the prices people around here want to sell them for.

11. KST Goat Farm

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    I am trying to decide if I want to neuter both of them of keep them both intact in case I want to get some females later.

12. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

If they are pedigreed then they can really go up in dollars. But even just for breeding for meat they can be pricey. For good breeding stock that is pretty normal. It take a lot of food and care to get a bean to maturity just like it does a goat. We sell ours for $25-$30 each weaned. Whether they are for pets, eating or breeding. Because to buy a processed rabbit in a store it is not cheap. So we are going to get almost what one would cost to buy processed no matter what a buyer does with them. We spend a fair amount on good breeding stock and then you have costs in all the other that goes along with it. So while you may think it is a steep price for “jist a rabbit” try to think of it in terms like you would when buying and selling a goat.

KST Goat Farm and GoofyGoat like this.
  13. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Yes it would be a bad idea. Never breed a large male to a small female. Holland Lops are tiny and the babies would be huge.

Then I would say to make sure they are spayed/neutered. :)

14. KST Goat Farm

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    Is it possible to keep 2 bucks in the same hutch?

15. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I wouldn't do that unless they were both neutered and a bonded pair.
    If they aren't fixed/bonded they can fight and severely injure each other.

16. KST Goat Farm

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    If I get 2 bucks from two different owners, can I bond them?

17. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    KST Goat Farm likes this.
  18. ksalvagno

They both have to be neutered. You have to spend time with the bonding. House Rabbit Society has some great articles on bonding rabbits.

KST Goat Farm and 21goaties like this.
  19. KST Goat Farm

Jul 28, 2019
    NE Colorado
    Can I put them in 2 separate hutches so that they can see each other but not get two each other?
    I don't think I want to neuter both of them because I think eventually I want to get some females of their own breeds. I think at this point building another hutch is going to be a lot cheaper than neutering them.