Hollywood was dehorned today. And we tested the herd...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Well the ruminant vet came today, he brought two students and another vet with him. Hollywood was dehorned and the whole procedure took about 15-20 minutes, and he woke up within a few minutes and was flirting with the girls again. And he did testing for CAE and Johnes and the total cost to test our entire herd (15 goats) was $40.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus $25.00 for disposables. They were awesome. Too bad I'm moving and won't ever need them again! Oh yeah and they gave me Epinephrine (SP?) for free too!

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Wow!! That is nice, it usually costs us that per goat up here. Glad to hear Hollywood is back to normal :)

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Disposables?

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Syringes, and blood tubes and such.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thats an amazing price! Glad all went well with the dehorning, i've heard its pretty bloody.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    See that's the thing it lookes like he was disbudded! Not gross AT ALL! I was so surprised, I've seen some yucky photos of dehorning. Hollywood gave me a scare tonight though, he was laying all the way down and breathing really shallow. But I gave him some Arnica and he actually escaped the pen he was in :leap: I am keeping an eye on him though (with my barn cam) and he is rooting around in the hay right now.

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    He is out with the boys and acting completely normal! I hope he continues doing this well!!

8. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Are you sure you didn't miss a digit in that vet bill?!
    Here's what mine wouldlook like:
    Trip fee 65
    Herd fee 100 per hour
    blood draw 10.50 each
    testing 8 each plus 15 group, just for cae
    vacinations additional.
    And de-horning, astronomical, like 65, now dis budding they will do for 8 w/out sedation.
    Crazy for sure.