The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have 2 Nigerian Dwarfs. Just backyard pets, no breeding or milking or showing. They are now 6 months and I'm learning how messy they are! They spend a good deal of time on my patio. They like us and also spend a good deal of time laying on the step outside the sliding glass door. I'm realizing (because it's on the patio) how much they poop now that they're a little bigger. I sweep twice a day and toss it but what about all the poop in the grass? Obviously you can't clean it up, I guess my question is; instead of sweeping up all the patio poop and throwing it out, can I save myself the work and just sweep it into the grass? There's already poop in the grass, can I make the mess any worse? Will it dissipate with the rainy season?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Nope. You want to do everything you possibly can to keep poop out of the grass. Poop in grass = parasites. And I promise the burden of that will make you a lot more annoyed than sweeping.

You can use a rake to get the poops out of the grass, but it can be hard. Don’t fret too much about it, but definitely don’t introduce any MORE poop into the grass.

We try our best to sweep up the poop in the grass, sometimes I’ll go out with a dog poop bag and pick up poops that I see, but we have a small grazing area so it is easier.

Anyway, see if you can pick up as much as you can from the grass and put it wherever you are putting the rest of the poop you sweep up.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Do you have a compost pile for kitchen and garden scraps? Goat poop and wasted bedding is a great addition for compost!
I am dealing with a similar problem, I have 3 large compost bins and they are filled up now with shavings and poop. They have yet to compost!!

And don't get me started on hay waste, it seems to never compost.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Hi all, I have 2 Nigerian Dwarfs. Just backyard pets, no breeding or milking or showing. They are now 6 months and I'm learning how messy they are! They spend a good deal of time on my patio. They like us and also spend a good deal of time laying on the step outside the sliding glass door. I'm realizing (because it's on the patio) how much they poop now that they're a little bigger. I sweep twice a day and toss it but what about all the poop in the grass? Obviously you can't clean it up, I guess my question is; instead of sweeping up all the patio poop and throwing it out, can I save myself the work and just sweep it into the grass? There's already poop in the grass, can I make the mess any worse? Will it dissipate with the rainy season?
You can also bag and sell it for others to put in their compost piles. If bedding and urine are not in it goat poop is a cold poop that can be added directly to the garden and around plant bases. If it has been in with say deep bedding them it needs be put in the compost pile... the bedding holds urine which in turn holds more nitrogen and can make it become more of a hot poop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. You want to do everything you possibly can to keep poop out of the grass. Poop in grass = parasites. And I promise the burden of that will make you a lot more annoyed than sweeping.

You can use a rake to get the poops out of the grass, but it can be hard. Don't fret too much about it, but definitely don't introduce any MORE poop into the grass.

We try our best to sweep up the poop in the grass, sometimes I'll go out with a dog poop bag and pick up poops that I see, but we have a small grazing area so it is easier.

Anyway, see if you can pick up as much as you can from the grass and put it wherever you are putting the rest of the poop you sweep up.
Ok, let me clarify, I don't actually have grass. I have different things in different parts of the yard but where I would be sweeping the patio poop is just dirt. I guess part of my question was if I don't sweep it to throw out will it start to smell. So far nothing smells. They munch on blackberry bushes but no grass so they aren't at risk of consuming their own poop.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Ok, let me clarify, I don't actually have grass. I have different things in different parts of the yard but where I would be sweeping the patio poop is just dirt. I guess part of my question was if I don't sweep it to throw out will it start to smell. So far nothing smells. They munch on blackberry bushes but no grass so they aren't at risk of consuming their own poop.
Well if there is no grass and it is just dirt, it will compost safely and not contaminate the grass with parasites.

However, even though they won't be head down grazing on it I still prefer to clean it up, and on dirt it's super easy and not a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts