Home medical kit

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bee_pipes, Jan 25, 2008.

1. bee_pipes

bee_pipes New Member

What do you guys keep in your emergency kit?

Also, do you have a regular kit - non-emergency for every day stuff?

Looks like there is a bewildering assortment of potions and notions out there - charcoal liquid, paste, solid (ground up in coffee grinder)

All kinds of wormers - I was reading Eliya's website at Green Gables, and she uses Hoegger's Herbal weekly.

Also - diatomatious earth - we use it as a pesticide - since it's an alkaline, can it be substituted for bicarb of soda? How about as a source of calcium?

I gotta say, reading back on some of the threads, you folks are a bit intimidating with the facts you post - quite a bit of experience and knowledge here. How about recommendations on books?

Regards,
    Pat

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Hi Pat. I think a good emergency kit would include epinephrine, tetanus anti-toxin, C&D anti-toxin, needles, syringes, electrolytes, probios, vitamin b complex, red cell or iron supplement, peroxide, iodine, vet wrap, drench syringe, feeding tube and syringe, activated charcoal...

Wormers: I use Combocare gel for horses and dose 3 times the amount shown for horses.

not sure about DE or baking soda but I thought it was a source of calcium.

I have several goat books that I read weekly...Storey's guide to raising meat goats is my favorite, Sotrey's guide to raising dairy goats, hobby farms goats series, and a book called your goats

There are several awesome websites as well...Jack Mauldin Boer goats, Fiasco Farm are just naming a couple.

3. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    for everyday stuff....
    bleach, wormer, hoof trimmers, brushes, minerals, sulmet, probios,

my mind has gone blank but I am sure others will give you a good list.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have an extensive first aid kit simply because you never know what these gals are going to get into or whats going to happen.
    Number one thing: a digital thermomitor.
    For cuts, i keep gauze pads, iodine, peroxide, blu kote, vet wrap, and a pair of surgical scissors in case you have to cut off dead skin. a disposable scalple for abcess'.
    for excessive bleeding i keep corn starch, i also keep my disbudding iron near my first aid kit as i have used it before to cauterize cuts on hooves when i can't get bleeding stopped. I have only had to use it twice, on both occasions goat kicked as i was cutting and cut off a good chunk. just heat it up and touch it to the cut.
    I keep various syringes from a three cc to a thirty cc for shots and drenching. A balling gun, for giving pills, you can get a nice set of two different sizes for ten bucks in hoegger supply. a ten cc drenching syringe, weak kid syringe and feeding tube.
    Red cell, electrolytes, a thing of orange gatorade activated charcoal, and a coffee grinder, I have only been able to find the rocks in the activated charcoal, so i always have to grind it. Mineral oil. ground ginger green tea bags and baking soda,for kids under two months of age that get into something poisenous warm their milk to boiling put a bag of tea in it like you would be making a normal cup of tea, one tablespoon baking soda one teaspoon ground ginger, you may have to tube feed it. But kids that young can't have activated charcoal. the ginger absorbs poisens. I have used this before and it has worked.
    Mastitis test strips, bloat release, magnalax, one tube each of probiotics and lamb and kid paste.
    In my medicine cabnet, i keep c&d antitoxin cd/t vit b LA 200 Bo-Se. For wormers i rotate between ivermectin and safegaurd. Twice a year i give valbazen. I don't think its aproved for pregnant does, i give them a dose right before breeding season and a few weeks after they kid. I keep cocci treatment on hand especially during the winter to spring wet transition.
    as for books i really like sheep and goat medicine by D.G. Pugh, Goat medicine by mary smith and david sherman. This are the two i have and like. I know there are others.
    I know this sounds like a lot of stuff. But i have the impression that i never know when im going to need something and i have used everything on this list in the last ten years.
    I also have a piece of paper taped to the underside of the lid that has my vets phone number on it as well as a couple of back up vets.
    I also keep a box with kidding supplies this time of year, a lot of the vet things go into the kidding kit. And a box full of everyday stuff, a brush hoof trimmers, baby wipes, an extra bucket, baking soda.
    Another box with show stuff, a box with all of my clipper stuff. Each box is easily accessible in the barn not stacked color coded and labeled. That way if someone is taking care of the goats for me they can find things easily.
    beth

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First things first - always always have a digital thermometer! If you don't have one, GO GET ONE ASAP.

next I have poisonous plants so I keep a tube of activated charcoal (found at http://www.jefferslivestock.com) on hand.

Pepto is also readlly available for when they get the runs. I dont' always jump to "oh they have worms or are sick" got ot do a round of 12 hours of pepto while monetering their symptoms before i jump to any conclusions. And a lot of times the pepto works. I have minis so for a kid I give 1-3 ccs and for an adult around 6ccs

Sulmet (liquid) labled for cows pigs and chickens is what I use when they have cocci.
    Check the goat sense 101 for a cocci thread where you can get dosage instructions.

I have other things in my med kid but those are my emergency items. :D

I actually keep it quite simple. Most of the stuff I have in my med kit I have gathered over the years as I have needed them.

I believe there is a thread for this somewhere I will go find it.

6. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    With three wethers I don't need kidding supplies, but I do have some basics, such as:

Thermometer- a must have

Pepto- great to have around for the runs and upset tummies

Nutri Drench- provides sugar/vitamins and gives a boost

Activated charcoal gel- in case one of them gets piosioned

Iodine

vet wrap

vet rx- minty nose drops which open airways when they have stuffy noses... works great, also takes care of ear mites.

I don't know about the diatomatious earth, but I do use it to dust them when I suspect mites/lice.

baking soda

syringe for drenching- I got it from Hoeggers

Ammonium chloride- in case of UC

Selenium/vitamin E gel

I usually worm with Ivermectin horse paste at tripple the dosage for horses. I do this every four months or so.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the diamatacious earth needs to be food grade and not the kind for the pool filter.

I am going to add in again my push for everyone to have a thermometer in their house for the goats! I just had to use it and I am glad I had it so I can be monitering my girls temps into tomorrow.

It really is so inexpensive but I see so many people without it that it baffles me.

Nutri drench or liquid children's vitamines also a must have in your emergency kit. - good reminder emily

8. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    okay guys...I knew I was missing some things but wow! I missed alot. I do have all that on hand but I was blank when I typed that.

9. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    No it is not a substitute for soda.

My 2 cents on digital thermometers.
    When you buy one, try it!! Twice on the same animal! The first one I bought gave 2 very different temps and was returned.
    Test them ever so often. When the battery starts going dead they will give a low reading (at least mine did). I still haven't found a replacement battery for it. So I bought a plane old standard thermometer.

10. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I bought a thermometer that doesn't beep when it reaches the high temp....I bought a new one and it works great!!!

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Here's what we keep for medical supplies(I'll probably forget some):

Fortified B Complex
    Thiamin
    Bo-Se and selenium paste
    Needles and syringes
    Penicillin(I don't use it but just keep it on hand)
    Fastrack
    Baking Soda
    Valbazen and Safeguard wormers
    Thermometer
    Gatorade
    Milk of Magnesia
    Pepto
    Activated charcoal
    Nutri Drench
    Molasses
    vet wrap, gauze pads etc
    Calendula ointment and tincture(for wound care
    peroxide
    Aconitum(for shock, traveling, and sudden sicknesses)
    Arnica(for pain, swelling bruises and other injuries)
    Pulsatilla(for snotty noses)
    Hypericum(for open wounds, alternated with Arnica)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something :wink:

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I don't have alot in my kit. All meds needing refridgeration on their own shelf along with some epinephrine pen g Ivomec BoSe CDT & Tetanus antioxin as well as LA 200 . All needles & syringes in a tote next to fridge.
    The rest in a cabinet on the back porch; pepto, alcohol, peroxide, iodine, wound spray, vicks vapo rub for human babies, betadine, benedryl which I had to use for a bee sting last year. Nutridrench.Also pour on Ivermectin and my gosh I need to go thru it to get ready for kids in a few weeks!!

I found a box of gloves really come in handy..alot of times I'd pick up piles of berries in the kidding pens. I have two thermometers.

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Birthing kit -

Iodine
    Gloves
    Floss
    Omega 3 liquid
    Towels
    Paper Towels
    Penicillin
    B Fortified
    Calcium Drench

Medical kit -

Arnica (For pain)
    Aspirin
    Penicillin
    B Complex Fortified
    Tetanus Antitoxin
    Selenium & Vitamin E Gel
    Electrolyte
    Sulmet
    Syringes
    Clay and Charcoal paste
    Pepto
    Vet-Wrap
    Nutri-Drench
    Probios
    Gauze Pads

I know I am forgeting some things...

14. scubacoz

scubacoz New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Great ideas. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum
    S&K Hilltop Farm and Ranch
    Registered mini-Nubians and Nigerian Dwarfs

15. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Blood stop powder or cornstarch is great for stopping up wounds.
    Banamine, to relieve pain and swelling

If you have pregnant/milking does:
    CMPK drench
    Today mastitis treatment
    Vit C chewables
    Bag balm and peppermint oil
    Heat packs