The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've been using store-bought goad feed for years but have always heard negative things about it, especially Purina brand which is what my local feed store always carries, and what I buy for my two myotonic goats. I've been wondering about mixing my own feed but didn't know how to go about this or where I would get the ingredients. If anyone has any experience/advice on this, it would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I get mine from a local grainery. It's alot cheaper than what I can buy at the store and my goats love it. Call your local grainery and ask what the minimum amount that has to be bought and if they have a standard blend. I have to order a minimum of 300 lbs. I bought some metal food grade barrels and just store it in there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I grind my own feed, or rather, my husband helps me grind my feed.
I worked with a local feed store to get my ration set up. Since we have soybean meal and corn on hand, I use that paired with a 38% dairy pellet and dry molasses.
My feed ends up finely ground even with the largest screen, but the goats eat it right up. This also makes it easier to hide minerals in the feed, as my girls like to sort them out otherwise.

·
Fair-Haven
4,609 Posts
Always check the protein, calcium to phosphorous ratio, fats, and mineral content in the feed you plan to mix. Know that corn can now have high levels of "highly deadly levels of hepatotoxic aflatoxins for goats (Katherine Drovdahl MH VA DipHir QTP ) - so knowing your sources is extremely important.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Always check the protein, calcium to phosphorous ratio, fats, and mineral content in the feed you plan to mix. Know that corn can now have high levels of "highly deadly levels of hepatotoxic aflatoxins for goats (Katherine Drovdahl MH VA DipHir QTP ) - so knowing your sources is extremely important.
We grow our own corn, but I am interested in more information regarding "hepatotoxic aflatoxins".

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
This was from the Dairy goat journal Jan/Feb 2020 edition - I'm not sure if it's type or management for the crop - but am currently researching....
Not to hijack,...but I've never heard of the dairy goat journal...is it a magazine? I'd love to know more.
Also most corn in the USA is genetically modified so I use very little.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
There are so many recipes. I mixed my own before, then went to a custom mix from our feed store that's higher protien, but then I don't like the cottonseed, so went back recently to making my own.

What I mix currently is barely, oats, boss. I will soon add a topdress of flax seeds when I get them in. I will adjust it if I need to for the milkers...but I'm finding that my girls are going up in milk despite it being lower protein. But we also feed higher protein alfalfa so they don't need so much in their milk grains.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Hello,
I've been using store-bought goad feed for years but have always heard negative things about it, especially Purina brand which is what my local feed store always carries, and what I buy for my two myotonic goats. I've been wondering about mixing my own feed but didn't know how to go about this or where I would get the ingredients. If anyone has any experience/advice on this, it would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Have you been happy with the results of the Purina but just heard negative things? Or is there something you or your goats don't like about it?

·
Fair-Haven
4,609 Posts
Goat Journal comes quarterly as part of my ADGA membership, you can subscribe - used to be the Dairy Goat Journal. Articles this time included listeria, fescue, feeding during pregnancy, when or if to use goat coats, goat behavior, Johnes Disease and a breed profile on the Pashmina breed. Great stuff!
Read more about the aflatoxins - just google - seems to be more prevalent in corn and soybeans after harvest in humid conditions. Affects liver, kidney, and breeding.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My husband mixes our goat feed … lucerne chaff with either wheaten or oaten chaff, and supermarket porridge oats added in. Mixing your own feed allows you to know what's in it … there's no 'added vitamins/minerals' to replace those that have been lost during commercial manufacture.

They get their minerals from the Pat Coleby mix, blocks of Himalayan rock salt, and apple cider vinegar added to their drinking water three times a week.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Goat Journal comes quarterly as part of my ADGA membership, you can subscribe - used to be the Dairy Goat Journal. Articles this time included listeria, fescue, feeding during pregnancy, when or if to use goat coats, goat behavior, Johnes Disease and a breed profile on the Pashmina breed. Great stuff!
Read more about the aflatoxins - just google - seems to be more prevalent in corn and soybeans after harvest in humid conditions. Affects liver, kidney, and breeding.
I didn't know this comes through ADGA...how do you get it as a member?

·
Fair-Haven
4,609 Posts
I don't do anything - just pay my dues....... reach out if you aren't getting it.... There is also a subscription - but I've never paid for it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don't do anything - just pay my dues....... reach out if you aren't getting it.... There is also a subscription - but I've never paid for it.
Hmmmm I'll reach out, I didn't see anything in the member portal. THanks.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hello,
Thanks!
You've been feeding the Purina Feed for years but have heard bad things about it? I think with only a couple of goats you should probably just stick with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts