The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
59,722 Posts
We have to replace almost all the flooring in our home. I also found that I had to go in to places and talk to them about their pricing and what it all included. Nobody was the same.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks Julie! It sure does ;)

Karen I am so sorry! Yes I agree, everyones prices are much different, and on top of that, they all say different things need to be done. It can be frustrating! That's why my husband and his brother decided to do it themselves vs. hiring someone that 'might' take out more than really needs to be taken out, overcharge, etc.

Last night we spent another 2 1/2-3 hours at Lowes. AHH LOL
My husband and his brother ordered 27 sheets of flooring, 6 sheets of the stuff you put over subflooring for tile, and 8 bags of insulation. I know there was something else but don't remember what it was. We also ordered a new bathtub. Our tub is an odd size 54x30!
The supplies will be here sometime this morning, but the tub may not be here until Monday since they will have to get it from another store.
They got the rest of the stuff for water lines that they needed, and I got a couple of gallons of paint. As soon as the bathtub is replaced, I can paint our bedroom and bathroom :)

The cabinets I like at Lowe's would be about $1500 with everything minus a sink. We are going to make sure there aren't any good, used ones out there, if not we'll get these. It's something they keep in the store, no special order needed.

Carpet. They said we have to have someone come out and measure the place and want us to pay nearly $40! My husband said he can measure it all himself, and if they want our business they can either work with us or not...lol
Of course I'll call around but someone mentioned most places want to measure themselves and charge you for it :(
I love the Mohawk carpet color called Cucumber. It's not very nice on the computer lol but in store it really looks good.

Whew, this is still so overwhelming. I may try to go look at a couple of stores this afternoon when I can use hubby's car.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Mom is a do it yourselfer, she is always changing up things in her house. She gets flooring all the time without having anyone come out to measure. What a gimmick!! She hates lowes because she says the employees don't know anything. I think it is really just that she knows more than they do. She also gets ready made cabinets and installs them herself. The last she got weren't from lowes, they were from this place called United home supply (I think). Anyway she would shop around and find the freestanding pieces she wanted and put them together arranged the way she wanted in her kitchen then her and dad would build the counter top over the top. What she has now are pine cabinets with butcher block look counter top. About every two or three years she redoes a room, well she used to, I think they might be getting too old for that now. Now she just redoes the curtains and little things. She makes all her curtains too. Anyway my point is, ready made cabinets can turn out really nice, you don't have to go with built in ones and you don't have to have them come measure to by carpet or vinyl flooring.

·
Super Moderator
59,722 Posts
Maybe a smaller carpet business will do it for free. We have been going to small local businesses and they all come out and measure for free if you are definitely buying the carpet.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
What you need to remember about carpet it that it has a "knap" just like corduroy or velvet....which means you can only run it one way.....otherwise you will notice it where it is pieced. If your room isn't wider than 12 feet you are okay, buh t if it is wider the carpet needs to run the same direction so ordering it is not like multiplying lets say 15 x 15 and coming up with 225 square feet and then dividing by 9 feet (3x3)......that is one of the reasons they like to come measure but if you take a sketch of the floor area to be carpeted they can work from that.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Whew, it has been quite a weekend!
Good and bad, haha... but ending on a good note I think.

Friday ---

Lowe's delivered our subfloor wood, insulation/etc. while I was on the phone, and as soon as I had a chance to inspect it, there sheets of wood damaged! I called them, and they had replacements out within an hour.

Rumpke - OMG! I am soooo frustrated with them! They never showed up! Said I had not placed an order. Long story short, I reminded the lady that I did place it and I did place it with her. We'll see what happens tomorrow, she said they wouldn't charge us for this or that, etc. At this point it was their screw up so they better find a way to make us happy, especially with the huge mess we'd planned to have cleaned up over the weekend when we had extra hands here to help!

Internet - Yesterday early afternoon the internet went down. They said it was a widespread outage, then this morning said they had updated it. So when I called, they said the problem was my modem. Yeah right, it's maybe 4 months old and was perfectly fine before they screwed up whatever they were doing!
Not the first time this has happened, and seems I always have to get a new modem with their updates! So I told them it needed to be resolved or they were going to be losing a customer, because it was getting ridiculous.
I had a friend who emailed me photos for the website I work for, and I couldn't get those edited/file info and uploaded! Not happy.

Miraculously, the internet was 'magically' fixed by 5pm, hmmm... so what's wrong with my modem? :rolleyes:

Whew....I won't even mention all the other crazy stuff!

-------------------

Good news?

WE HAVE FLOORS IN THE HOUSE AGAIN!

All the floors are in place, except a small corner where the water heater is at - they will put the floor in after they change the water lines.
We are waiting for the new tub to come tomorrow, so we can get it installed, and get the water lines hooked up - they are ready and waiting :)

This evening we went to Lowe's to look at carpet/flooring, and set up an apt for someone to come and measure for carpet! So that should be done Mon or Tues and we can order the carpet.
I think we are doing a laminate wood flooring in the kitchen, around the front door, side door, and both bathrooms. Possibly the dinning room.

Mohawk carpet is probably the kind we'll go with, possibly a color called 'Cucumber' for most of the house, and the kids want 'Graphite' in their bedrooms. Good thing is after they get the measurements we can go in and make final decisions on the carpeting :)

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks! Well at this point they may need to move along faster. Here it is 4:41am and I am up, and moved the family inside thanks to an alarm going off in the travel trailer! It's off now, but wow that was nerve wrecking!
It was the propane detection alarm! We turned the propane off, but can't figure out why the alarm is going off. Nothing is turned on/using the gas that I know of? So strange!

At least it's off for now. We pulled out a couple of mattresses from the girls room and hubby and the kids are sleeping on those. Not enough room for me, but after that I don't think even being so tired, that I could sleep.

What the heck is up with all of this bad luck :(

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I am planning to call and have the travel trailer picked up possibly tomorrow or Fri morning. We're moving back into the house. That darn propane gas alarm went off at 4am this morning again!

Lowe's came out to measure for carpet/linoleum today, so hopefully we can get it ordered tonight or tomorrow.

We do have a bit of a setback. The bathtub in our bathroom was leaking and ruined the floor underneath. I knew something was up, but good grief! The tub has a tiny crack in it, but that isn't what made the damage - it was the drain. Apparently the drain pipe thread was defective and allowed water to run out. Not something you could see or smell until you got the tub out.
So they have the floor out, but they will have to replace a couple of supports. They need to move the drain anyway, so we'll have to go get the stuff for that probably this evening - the new tub drain won't match up with the old one.

We also have to get baseboard trim since it was advised by the Lowe's guy that came out to go ahead and get it installed so they can run the carpet underneath it.

They replaced our closet floor, and I started working on painting our bedroom a little bit, getting ready to work on finishing the bedroom so I can paint our bathroom once the new tub is installed.

·
Super Moderator
59,722 Posts
It is a good thing you found out about the tub area. At least it can get fixed while everything else is being fixed.

Could you just call the trailer rental place and ask them about the alarm? Maybe it can be fixed or something so you can wait till the flooring is installed.

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks Karen, they aren't really sure why the alarm keeps going off at 4am. We've had it 2 weeks, and need to go ahead and let it go back. Insurance would pay for it another week, but we decided to go ahead and come back in the house. The girls bunk bed is still together and they were very happy to sleep in their own beds tonight.

Yeah, I am so glad about the tub, I knew something just wasn't right about it.

Lowe's still hasn't delivered the new tub. In fact, they didn't know where it was! But one of the workers tracked it down, and we should have it tomorrow or Friday. It will probably be Friday before they could install it anyway, since they are allowing the area to dry out, and still need to install the new support boards.

I'm almost done painting our bedroom, I hope to finish tomorrow night. I may not paint again until Monday --- Friday our local horse track opens, and I'll be there photographing Fri-Sat-Sun. I'm really excited about it, especially with one of my very favorites running :) Tomorrow some friends are picking me up and we're going to go see one of my other favorites who is retired at a farm and will be expecting her first foal next year ;)

·
14,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I thought I'd write an update about our house.

We are slowly getting things done. We've seemed to have gotten a bit lazy lately lol I painted the entire house except for the bathrooms.

Sunday we went to Lowe's and got some cabinets for the kitchen. We decided to try and use our old countertop, as we'd need this tool, that tool, etc. just to cut out the new one, and well it was adding up.
Hubby and his brother got them installed, and new sink finished install last night.

Today we got our carpet installed! Took all day, but it's great :) We can slowly start getting the house back together again.

He still has some work to do on the bathrooms before they are painted.
Still have to paint all the old cabinet doors, and paint the new cabinets.

Anyway, we are getting there! :) I'll share pics when I get a chance.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts