The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best, and least expensive fabric to use for making baby coats?

Anyone have any easy coat ideas they want to share?

I need to make more, but want to make them myself vs. buying toddler shirts, and altering them.

I have to hand sew, so keep that in mind lol

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,746 Posts
Cut off the ends of a sweatshirt sleeves and the arm hole is where the babies stick their heads out. Cut little holes out of it to make room for the legs. I will attach an image for you.

·
3,746 Posts
Are you talking about baby GOATS or baby humans. This is for baby goats.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've actually used the sweatshirt idea, but the sleeves get tight <boer goats> and we have a doe that tends to throw big babies.

I've got an idea of what I can make in my mind, just thought if anyone wanted to share anything they'd made, plus it might help someone else who needs to make some as well.

We are expecting babies from 5 does in January, and they are somewhat close together, so I need to plan on having some coats for all of them. 2 look like they 'could' have triplets again as they already have big bellies and 8-10 weeks left.

·
2,203 Posts
Ugly Christmas sweaters work great for this. Cut off per each kid whatever measurement you need to, we usually cut off sleeves just above the pastern for newborns, fold the end up and stitch some elastic into the sleeve ends, same with the belly, just sew elastic straps in the sweater for rear legs to go thru, and cut the belly of the sweater to compensate for bucklings. Make sure to turn over all cut edges and make a good edge.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I bought a dog coat and copyed that. I played it out on cardboard and traced it and used that as my pattern. Then I just went and got some normal cotton fabric for the out side and fleace for the in side. If you have a joanns around you they sell small pieces of fabric what's left of the roll for usually 50% off but sometimes they have a sale for 75% off. Right now they should have a ton of fleace since its getting to be winter and everyone makes those fleace tie blanket things. I made a ton of little coats for my friend last year

·
3,746 Posts
I've actually used the sweatshirt idea, but the sleeves get tight <boer goats> and we have a doe that tends to throw big babies.

I've got an idea of what I can make in my mind, just thought if anyone wanted to share anything they'd made, plus it might help someone else who needs to make some as well.

We are expecting babies from 5 does in January, and they are somewhat close together, so I need to plan on having some coats for all of them. 2 look like they 'could' have triplets again as they already have big bellies and 8-10 weeks left.
Oh well I was referring to Nigerian dwarfs. I think it's supposed to work on the minis.

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
What do u think about knitting them?
You can knit them. There are dog patterns out there for knitting and crocheting.

It really is so easy to just use a dog coat pattern. I make dog coats for my little dog and the actual pattern comes in a few sizes. I bought pattern ease and traced all the different sizes so the original pattern is still intact and not used.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Buy a dog coat. It is a lot less expensive after you buy the material and make it. I found it cheaper to buy them at WalMart.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Wow yours turned out way better then mine did!! Another thing I want to add.....I'm a little crafty. If you have cotton on the outside you can use modpod on it and make it semi water prove. I made light switch covers and used modpod so I can clean them after my kids dirty hands get ahold of them ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Garage sales, flea mkts, rummage sales. and I asked on CL if anyone had any puppy sweaters that they would like to give away or sell cheap. I bet I ended up with over twenty , ended donating those I I could not use to the animal shelter. Try it see what happens

·
Registered
905 Posts
I thought about getting some of those for our goats, but I'm afraid they'll get hung up on branches, other goats horns, and things like that. I'm also afraid they'll pull at them and end up getting stuff stuck in their throats/mouths. You know how a mama's imagination can get carried away with worry. lol. Have you, (or anyone here), ran into any situations like that with sweaters?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts