The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any "recipe's" for making your own grain? I'm curious if cost wise it would be more cost effective and more nutritious for my little clan. Also if I'm mixing it I will know exactly what's in it. I'm currently feeding Purina goat chow. I'm also looking into a fodder system, but also wondering if that would be enough for complete nutrition, along with loose minerals of course.

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
HappyBleats has a recipe that she uses. Do a search on that. I know for me, the grains actually cost more per bag than the goat feed does. But that is in my area.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I was also doing research, and I came across this recipe

http://www.sandylanedairygoats.com/feedrecipe.htm

i'm limited from what I can get so I feed my goats oats, split peas, BOSS, and alfalfa.

you can google and find some good fooder info. i'd love to do it, but I think it's too hot and humid here...things would get moldy really quickly.... plus I can't find a good supply of barley or wheat berries.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
here is one we used

6 parts whole oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS
1 part beet pulp ( we buy shredded)
mix together and serve one part mix with 3 parts alfalfa pellets

our "part" is a 3 pound coffee can :)

goats love it.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is one we used

6 parts whole oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS

our "part" is a 3 pound coffee can :)

goats love it.
Hmm, I think I'll have to try this. I'll price it out. I'm thinking because the calf manna is so expensive here, that would eliminate the cost effective part, but I think it's worth a shot. I wonder if sheep can also eat it, I'm pretty sure they could:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also doing research, and I came across this recipe

http://www.sandylanedairygoats.com/feedrecipe.htm

i'm limited from what I can get so I feed my goats oats, split peas, BOSS, and alfalfa.

you can google and find some good fooder info. i'd love to do it, but I think it's too hot and humid here...things would get moldy really quickly.... plus I can't find a good supply of barley or wheat berries.
Hmmm, this is also interesting. Maybe I'll try the barley part in Happybleat's recipe. I'm going to price it all out first, to see what's what. Since I'm going to have 3 does to milk here soon, I should probably get on it:)

I'm kind of thinking of the fodder for next year, since I already have my hay in for the winter, good weather in Western WA came early this year:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HappyBleats has a recipe that she uses. Do a search on that. I know for me, the grains actually cost more per bag than the goat feed does. But that is in my area.
Thanks! She responded:) I'm kinda thinking it will be more expensive, but I'll price everything out and go from there.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Yep..you can take the calf manna out for sheep but will need to find a nutriacally sound replacement..Also some trade out the calf manna for other feed..read the ingrediants to see its well balance..Goathiker might have a few ideas on that...Calf manna is pricy but the goats love it

if you read this on calf manna...you will see its worth its weightin gold when it comes to a little bit of everything lol..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/200/#.Ud3NWGSDTL8

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I have a couple ideas to reduce the cost with out hurting the grain mix. You're all going to have to wait until the Alpines are done showing though :p

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Im all ears Goathiker : )

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh wow!! I'm surprised my almost 6mo sheep (Smith and Wesson) are still alive. I fed them calf manna to them to get them started on grain, a vet and the girl at the feed store recommended it to me.... I have been contemplating selling them so maybe I should. I got them for pets, that is before I realized they couldn't have copper, and well my 8 other animals do (my goats). They will probably end up on someone's dinner table:( They are friendly buggers... Gotta think this through... I know my doe in milk could stand to put on some more weight, and calf manna would probably help with that.... So, it is on the list for the next feed store run. Still can't wait for Goathiker to share:)

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Umm, do one of those sheep happen to be a large breed white or grey/speckled face wether and very friendly? If so, what do you want for it?

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
6 parts whole oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS
This is actually a really good mix. Better than a lot of them. We can tweak it to achieve the same thing though. The most expensive parts of this is is the Calf Manna, the BOSS, and the Beet Pulp. So...what to cut,
Living in the West we have an advantage...Rolled barley isn't much more in cost than oats.
So, let's cut out the beet pulp completely since barley has more carbs. In fact barley has almost the same carbs as corn without the heat and hoof problems.
BOSS is added for fat (everyone thinks) It's real place is for omega 3 acids. So let's cut that out at $28.00 a 35 pound bag. There is another resource for those acids.
So, our new mix would be...
3 parts rolled oats
2 1/2 parts rolled barley
2 parts calf manna
one teaspoon Safflower oil per pound of mix.
Does exactly the same thing with a higher fat content and I could prove it tomorrow.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Thanks Goathiker..cant wait for your results tomorrow..I bet you rock the show!!!

do you add your oil during feeding or mix it up in a huge batch?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts