homestead nowhere #1 cleaning day!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ohiogoatgirl, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    well today almost all of the snow melted like all at once and it was 56*F. but it is like 2 months too early for gardening so i had to look for something else to do. well the girls are due in may, so i need to clean out the kidding stalls... oh but i'm bored and today is as good a day as any for a good workout. so i cleaned 3 out of the 4. it wasnt that bad. i kinda enjoyed it a little. but dont tell dad! :wink: so now the rest of that part of the barn is filled to about shoulder height with dirty hay. gotta wait to use pappa's mower with his little trailer to take it all over to the garden crack. the garden crack is what i call this big ditch/ravine thing that seperates the two parts of the garden. dad wants to fill it so eventually we can garden right across the whole thing. it will add about 6 feet across and like 150 feet long to the garden. not like we are scraping for space though. the garden is two (about) 50x150 ft sections. gonna be putting up the greenhouse as soon as the ground dries enough for me to stake it. anyone else doing spring cleaning?

2. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Your daytime weather sounds like my night time low. :p It was about 80 degrees today and I did some spring cleaning. I raked out the barn (half of it) and stipped down the birthing stalls, cleaned my feeders and water trough, and then set the old straw on fire. I'm too lazy to get my pool water clean this year so I am still in the proces of draining the entire pool and then will clean the walls to fill it back up. This weekend we also hung new mini blinds in the house, the room darkening kind that will keep the house cooler with our scorching summer weather (even with the AC full blast).
    It's about time to plant the garden here. It's nice because the chickens are able to free range all day now and eat plenty of bugs so my chicken feed bill has dropped in half. It's also nice to see the pasture with 5 inches of green grass popping up so the goats are no longer munching so much on their peanut hay (more feed savings!)

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    uh! i'm so jealous! my aunt and them live in florida. i visited in october it was soooooo nice! florida weather would be great for me except i dont like it over 80*F and i'm a nut about the storms there.

sooooo jealous!

4. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Still cold and snowy here :(

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We had a couple of weeks of really nice weather...everything was blooming...
    we soon forget it is still winter....and boy did it come back..... it really teased us and begged us... to plant that garden ....but.... I held out and didn't ...thank goodness for that...we are freezing again...with nasty weather.... :(

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    The weather here in the panhandle is nice and we are too far inland for hurricanes (just some heavy wind/rain but the houses wont go anywhere). It's bad, though, when it's 106 degrees outside and the humidity is 90%. Very humid! And the cockroaches down here fly, seriously! They are called "palmetto bugs" and get to about 3 inches long. I'm from Kansas originally and I had never seen such bugs before. Sometimes I miss the snow because it's beautiful. Another downside is that the worms are much more intense on the goats because there's no real freeze off. The barberpole thrives here and many, many herds now have wormer resistant worms. :( But it is nice to see everything blooming and see the geese flying back North.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm getting ready to start getting supplies to add on to our barn so we can get the entire outside finished and then start on the inside and make it all permanent. Our barn is 16'x12' then the addition on one side is 16'x6' and the addition on the front will be 12'x8' or something like that. I can't wait to get the 2nd addition going.
    It's been a rainy day so no cleaning today....bummer because it was in the low 60s and comfortable! Looks like Tuesday will be the next dry day so I can try to get some spring cleaning done. We have sooooo much to do!

8. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    ooooooh....... well we had a terrible thunderstorm last night. roads flooded, creeks flowing like white water rapids, goats are very grumpy that they are stuck in the barn. i dont close them in the barn, they hate the wet weather and stay in. put out two new bales for em and they are munchin away. its a good thing i didnt put up the greenhouse yesterday! it probably would have floated away! dad has a spring up on the hill dug out some and piped the water down to the garden. well the pipe was unhooked from the garden hoses because its winter and you dont want to have full water barrels freeze and break. so the water was just running out the pipe on the ground. well with the snowmelt and rain the ground is soaked so there was like five little streams running through the garden and goat pasture. well i averted that somewhat but there is still one little stream runnung through the goat pasture that i have no idea where the water is coming from... and the little section of the barn with the feed bin had a stream running through it so i need to go fix that... and i need to put the tarp down in the van and go get hay from the shed down the road... ah... lots to do.