Honest opinions please husband and I disagree

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Hillsideboers, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Hillsideboers

Hillsideboers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Iowa
    Sorry this is long....

Ok so here’s the situation I have two bucks both December born, 3 days apart actually. I fell in love with the black dapple I knew he had some flaws but I figured for my price range he would work. Then I found the red dapple, in my price range but a little more expensive and better quality from the get go. As they mature more I find myself not liking the black dapple compared to the red. He lacks thickness, width and and just over all attractiveness, am I wrong??

so I have 9 does to breed this year, 3 are dairy does and they are better quality wise then my black dapple. The 3 dairy does should already be bred.

my husband says since I already bought him I should just use him, his color alone is desirable. But I disagree yes I love his color but I want descent quality as well and I would rather just use my red dapple, sell the black and save for a better black dapple next year.

what would you guys do??

(yes I know I’m a horrible photographer)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You should always breed for better quality.

3. Hillsideboers

Sep 1, 2019
    Iowa
    That’s what I’m trying to tell my husband but he thinks since he is “descent and nice color” that it will be ok but the more he ages the more I think I don’t like him.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I agree completely. Use the red dapple!

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
  6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Red dapple for sure. Dapples are no longer the “new thing” so IMO you need more then just color. Yes people are color blind still, and to be honest I am at times too! But one needs more then just color to compete with all the other color breeders out there. So even though yes black dapples are stunning the kids will have to be decent quality to sell or cheaper then the other breeders. Go with quality!
    Now put your husband on lol I have a black dapple buck, I bred him to a mix of every color does under the sun, even very heavy in the black department does, wanna know what color I got the most of? RED! SOLID RED! So just because you have that black dapple buck does not mean you are going to end up with black dapple kids. That is the fun and frustrating part of playing with color. So you are risking being very discouraged if you are putting color over quality and you end up with no color or quality. IMO if you want to play with getting black dapples sell the buck and buy some good black does or even black paint does and let the red dapple cover them. And or because you should get better kids and better money for the kids out of the better buck put some aside and shoot for a good black dapple buck later on.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    This sounds cruel to those who don't eat goat meat, but under all those pretty coat colors, they are all just dinner! I would breed for quality over color. Color won't help production, longevity, meat quality etc. (or in the case of dairy, milk production etc.!)

8. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I can't see any photos. But would definitely choose the red dapple, breeding for colour is a gamble and you might not always get the desired colour you want. But quality and the characteristics of the buck will forever impact your herd and you will spend money trying to fix it. So Quality over colour.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ok...here I go..going to get myself in trouble....
    Black dapple ..not as good? As red dapple??? Can you take his weak points..match to a does big areas and get.decent kids?
    Give red dapple to any doe with paint or black in their pedigree.
    Bucks imprint..but does can add to. Just trying to use both boys useing their strong points.

Hillsideboers likes this.
  11. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Cut your losses! If you're not happy with him, chances are you won't be happy with his kids either, and then you'll have inferior kids you'll have to try to sell. Hopefully they will be flashy kids, but there are no guarantees. It's a shame to sell him without using him, yes, but if he's going to set your breeding program back then you're better off without him. Or, if you feel like you need to try and use him since you paid for him, just bred him to one or two does. That way, if he produces nice kids, great! You'll have something to work with. If he produces ugly kids, oh well, at least he only sired one or two litters and the majority of your kid crop will have been sired by your better buck ;)

12. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    Poor quality goats produce the same feed bill as superior quality goats.

And then the superior produce more valuable offspring.

Many bucks in the world that should be wethers or dinner.

HMNS, Angel A, Hillsideboers and 2 others like this.
  13. Hillsideboers

Sep 1, 2019
    Iowa
    Sorry for the lack of response I was putting flooring in for my in laws all weekend

Here are my boys in question. I’m not sure what happened to my pictures before.

If I sell the buck what does everyone think about a price? Fullblood Bucks seem to go $400+ in my area for traditionals 700+ for any color

CF22912D-9B28-484C-9109-AAE97A3FCDC1.jpeg 6574FAC4-0576-4FCE-A59F-DEA6E9F08248.jpeg

14. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Don’t breed for color alone. If you think he’s not gonna produce the type of kids you want, cut you losses don’t use him.

toth boer goats likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It depends.
    Are they registered, FB, PB?

teat and scrotum?

16. Hillsideboers

Sep 1, 2019
    Iowa
    Registered fullblood will be DNA test as soon as I get it for ABGA. Proven as I did use him on my dairy does and they are bred.
    Clean 1x1 teat, scrotum is correct along with bite.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California