honest opinions.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by motherof5boys1girl, Aug 12, 2009.

1. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    is it possible, and acceptable to keep a single pygmy goat indoors?
    i read an article about this lady who kept hers indoors, wearing diapers and eventually housebreaking it..how much of that is true, i dont know.
    i sent my babies to a temporary home for the time being, while i hash this out with the city, but i am considering getting my wether back and trying this. i dont want to do anything inhumane though so any advice would help.

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I would consider it a PITA trying to potty train a goat but that's because I like mine outside :) I know it's possible but not sure how difficult it would be since yours have lived outside their whole lives.

BTW, welcome to TGS. I'm the lady who gave you the copper boluses :thumb:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    did you mean PETA?

mm, i really wouldnt want a goat in my house, theyd chew on everything and make a huge mess, i think it'd be more work than its worth, when theyre perfectly happy outside. JMO

4. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I think she is asking because she's having a big problem with her neighbors and the town is getting involved in zoning restrictions etc- I think this is her last resort option at the moment to be able to hang onto him

I have heard of people having miniature horses that live in the house!
    People also have potbelly pigs that live indoors

I mean we have had plenty of bottle babies in the house- and oh my once they get to be about 3 weeks old they drive me CRAZY
    a full grown goat? I dont know- i guess it could be worth a try if you are prepared for the mayhem it could cause
    .......jumping on things including the kitchen table? chewing things including electrical cords, and I really really wouldnt want goat berries all over the house :ROFL:

If you do try it- you will HAVE to let me know how it goes!

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    nah - she ment P.I.T.A. - (Pain in the A$$) LOL! We used to joke in the clinics that we had a "pita" charge for unruley owners....

House goat ---- I would only try it IF you had a dog that they could buddy up with.... and then I would never expect to be able to potty train...

6. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    he is in love with our kittens..thats why he always came in the house!
    i do want to hang on to him..the whole thing is just wrong in the first place but if i can somehow keep him. the girls, there is no way i could because they hated coming inside and they were more standoffish..this guy will still sit in your lap.
    if i do go through with this and it works..maybe ill take pictures and give out advice for other people goofy enough to try this.

:leap: :ROFL:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh haha! my age was showing! lol

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bootsie, my first mini was housetrained...but then she was also in the house with me ffrom 6 weeks old too...she would go to the back door when she had to potty, it took a few weeks of me putting her out though when she would either sqaut or lift her tail, she got the point and caught on quick.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I personally wouldn't keep a goat in the house. I have kept bottle babies in the house before and that was a nightmare! Goats would just ruin your house. You could keep a small kenel though by your house or something and let them out everyday to play or something. If you are only going to get a single goat, I would get a bottle baby so they don't cry and try and escape to find other goats.

10. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    thank you for the advice everyone! i really appreciate it.

11. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
  12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry for the outcome. I really hope that your neighbors can sleep at night knowing what they did. I sure would hate to be the one to do this then have to see those beautiful kids face all the time. I guess they would rather have the kids unruly and causing like most kids do that have nothing better to do.

:hug:

13. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    we knew he would be like that when he moved in though..he was just a very malignant person to begin with.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, he has to live with his choices. They will bite him in the A** someday. He will be at the Pearlie gates and have to answer to the God himself.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry that such a narrow minded individual felt the need to cause such havoc within your family :hug:

Laws are laws and it seems that this narrow minded model citizen needs reminding of the leash laws :wink:

16. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    well, i have spent the day searching in between feeling sorry for myself and i think we might have a new place to live!
    the best part it is in the country!! i am hoping so much that this happens and i can go get my babies!!
    :stars:

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Praying for things to go your way and have your WHOLE family back together soon! :hug:

18. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Everything happens for a reason. Maybe you had to suffer through the ordeal with your pathetic "hopefully soon to be former neighbor" in order to find the home you are truly supposed to be in. One that allows you to keep whatever kind of God's creatures you want to.

And your 'former neighbor' will eventually find out that whatever type of energy you put into this world comes back to you times 3.

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Amen.....MissMM :thumb: !

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats seem to always seek out hay to pee on -- you can put hay in a litter-box or on top of puppy pee pads (for absorption) and when you see him pee, grab him and put him on the hay -- or you may find him going right to the pile of hay to go.

Now the berries -- well those are involuntary unlike peeing which is voluntary. so you will just have to sweep them up.