The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there- I saw some of you all have some honey bees, so I thought I would post about my swarm here.
I just got a package of bees last year, then bought a nuc from CL. Towards the end of summer I got a really good deal on 2 whole double deep hives. So happy to report they all made it thru the winter! 😁
One did struggle, had to feed a sugar tray over winter. But I checked it out this week and found the queen on the first frame I pulled out. So hopefully they get their act together and get stronger.
Pollinator Arthropod Wood Beehive Natural material

Beehive Honeycomb Pollinator Apiary Insect

Now, onto my swarm.
One of my other hives that is going very strong… I walked out and saw them swarming on the side of the box. Thankfully they hadn’t left and flew up high in a tree where I couldn’t get them!

Pollinator Beehive Apiary Plant Nature

so basically, I set out a 10 frame box where I want them. Took out 2 empty frames… sprayed the swarming bees with some sugar water (so they couldn’t fly off) and then gently brushed them onto a frame and set them over inside the empty hive box. Then repeated with the other frame. I never actually saw the queen, I’m just really hoping I got her in there safely. I took a frame of honey from the hive they left and put it in the new hive so they would have some food to help them get started.
I walked out there today just to watch and see what activity was going on… man they are so mad at me! I got kamakazied and chased all the way out of the pasture! Stung on the back of my head 😑
I’m going to have to wait a few days before I suit up and try to see if it was successful or not. (I didn’t suit up today cus I was just going to stand there watching!)

anyone else have luck with handling a swarm? This is my first one! I have 2 other hives that are doing well and I need to do something so they don’t all leave me 😅

Flower Plant Pollinator Insect Petal

Flower Plant Botany Petal Yellow

Flower Plant Pollinator Insect Petal

these were just some bees on the dandelions in my dads yard -they were obviously from one of the other hives since they weren’t mad at me 😂

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,420 Posts
My sister has bees. She's on the forum Worldwide Beekeeping and she's a moderator on Beemaster if you want to check either of those out. I helped her for the first season she had as a beekeeper and I always help when she has hives swarm. Have you checked your swarm for a queen yet? To be honest, that hive may not have really been swarming--now don't get me wrong--it might have been, but it also just could have been bearding. Was it an especially warm day when they did that? Sometimes if it's hot they will come outside because it's too warm in the hive. My sister likes to say "their sitting on their porch" 🙂. If you don't find a queen in your new hive, you could add a frame of eggs and then they can make themselves a queen.

Hopefully I'm not giving you too much advice, when you didn't ask for it. 😅 If so feel free to just disregard everything I just said. 😉

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My sister has bees. She's on the forum Worldwide Beekeeping and she's a moderator on Beemaster if you want to check either of those out. I helped her for the first season she had as a beekeeper and I always help when she has hives swarm. Have you checked your swarm for a queen yet? To be honest, that hive may not have really been swarming--now don't get me wrong--it might have been, but it also just could have been bearding. Was it an especially warm day when they did that? Sometimes if it's hot they will come outside because it's too warm in the hive. My sister likes to say "their sitting on their porch" 🙂. If you don't find a queen in your new hive, you could add a frame of eggs and then they can make themselves a queen.

Hopefully I'm not giving you too much advice, when you didn't ask for it. 😅 If so feel free to just disregard everything I just said. 😉
No- I appreciate it! I was probably my wrong- but I’ll find out. It’s close to the other hive if they want to fly back home. Lol
I’ve heard of bearding before, but I guess I’ve just been worrying about a swarm cus it’s swarming season. Lol it was maybe 75-77 so not super hot out 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great to see fellow beeks on here :)
This is from March... how's your hiving doing now? I'm guessing you didn't get the queen if they were that angry. I have a queenless hive right now and they got me pretty good last week, even got into my suit! You should have seen me running through the fields trying to escape, lol!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great to see fellow beeks on here :)
This is from March... how's your hiving doing now? I'm guessing you didn't get the queen if they were that angry. I have a queenless hive right now and they got me pretty good last week, even got into my suit! You should have seen me running through the fields trying to escape, lol!
There was one stuck in my hair buzzing for awhile so I was shaking my head and trying to swap it away while running… the. Had to trace back my steps cus realized my phone fell it of my shorts pocket while I was jumping around 😅
Got me right on the back of my head when it did finally sting. But I’m sure I looked a sight doing my bee dance 😂

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We never collected honey last year so they could get established and strong for winter time. I don’t really want to increase the number of hives I have too much, so if I lose some it’s not a huge deal. I don’t think they’ll go too far… I have a neighbor about 5 miles away as the crow flies so I guess they could go over there and find a tree 😂
I am looking forward to some honey in another month or two if we can figure things out 🍀❤🍀

·
Registered
190 Posts
There was one stuck in my hair buzzing for awhile so I was shaking my head and trying to swap it away while running… the. Had to trace back my steps cus realized my phone fell it of my shorts pocket while I was jumping around 😅
Got me right on the back of my head when it did finally sting. But I’m sure I looked a sight doing my bee dance 😂
I know, you're not supposed to panic. I haven't mastered that yet. Bees in my hair is a major screeching event, haha!

·
Registered
190 Posts
What is the best way to liquefy honey that has hardened over time?
Crystalized honey is my favorite! Yum! But if you want to liquify it again, heat it up. Keeping the heat at 90 degrees or lower maintains the good enzymes in raw honey...and keeps it "raw." If it's in a jar I like to put the jar in a warm water bath for a bit.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Yep. A bowl of hot water works well. Some folks will microwave it but I NEVER would. I do sometimes put it in the oven on very low heat and then let it set with just the oven light on.
You do not want to pasteurize it as then it will just be sugar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts