Hoof abscess care

Discussion in 'Horses' started by Feira426, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    So my older mustang has been limping on and off for a bit. At first I suspected a simple injury like a sprain or strain, but when it didn’t heal on it’s own (well, at first it seemed to, but then he started limping again several days later) I suspected a laminitis flare up, as he tends to get fat on even just pasture alone, and he’s had laminitis problems before. So I started reducing his access to feed and dosing him with turmeric for the pain and swelling, which has helped him tremendously in the past.

Well, today pus is draining from the top of the poor guy’s hoof. He got an infection in there somehow and I guess the pressure from the pus buildup was causing the foot pain. I’m down with the flu, or something similar, so my husband and my farrier gave him a tetanus shot and some penicillin at the farrier’s suggestion.

Now, a quick Google search told me that some people put iodine/antibiotics of some sort on the opening and wrap the foot and change the dressing daily. The article I was looking at suggested a diaper and duct tape. But hubby said the farrier seemed to feel that penicillin every other day three times should be sufficient, and that wrapping was either unnecessary or maybe potentially worse than leaving it open (I was in bed feeling miserable, so I’m not sure exactly what was said).

Have any of you had experience with this issue? Apparently it’s somewhat common in rainy times. Wondering if you wrapped yours or left it open, and how did it work out for you?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You would want it to drain so I'd probably leave it open. But if you are giving regular penicillin, it should be daily.

Feira426 and GoofyGoat like this.

3. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    For how many days?

4. ksalvagno

If it is regular penicillin, it should be given twice a day for a minimum of 5 days. I like to go at least 7 days.

Feira426 likes this.
  5. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    What would be considered un-regular penicillin? My husband picked ours up at our feed store. Asked for penicillin for a horse and they gave him something. I haven’t seen it yet ‘cause I’m still pretty sick, but I could have him bring me the box and check it out.

6. ksalvagno

The is penicillin and then there is long acting penicillin.

toth boer goats and Feira426 like this.
  7. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Oh, okay. That’s good to know - I had no idea. This bottle says to give daily so we will do that, though it also says not to give for more than four days in a row.

8. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Idk why it didn’t occur to me sooner to check the bottle for instructions. This virus is really taking a toll on my thinking ability.

9. Feira426

Feira426 Active Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    He is good now. Thanks again.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California