The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have trimmed hoofs before but it was always with help and today I attempted without help. I got the two front feet done on my older doe and the younger one was just being to fidgeting to be able to get her feet done completely. Will they be alright until tomorrow when I can have someone help or should i finish it now? Also i would appreciate any advice on how to get them to stay still lol

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, ill wait till tomorrow when my boyfriend will be home to hold them. They were sitting on my lap but then when I would try to trim their feet they would move around to much. They play on a lot of rocks right now but I'm going to put one of those cable spools in their pasture and I'll put shingles on it! Thanks for the info!

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While i was working on one goat the other was eating my hair and I just noticed now that she actually bit some off :( idk if she actually swallowed it cuz I pulled it from her mouth when I noticed, but if she did swallow it is that bad? My goats came to me very unfriendly and skittish and now I get completely mauled when I go in there!

· Super Moderator
16,973 Posts
I don't think it will hurt her at all. If so my doeling would have been dead a long time ago. I had to pen her up because she would eat my daughters hair while she played.
And about trimming their back feet. I got sick of having to wait around for someone to help me trim my goats and this is what I do that makes it easy....well for me. I just simply straddle them...kinda like my butt to their butt then reach between my legs and grab a back foot. I hold it between my legs and with my hand.....kinda like they do with a horse. They will kick and not be happy at first but just hang on and they will calm down. Just a little idea if ever you can't get help ;)

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks so much! Yeah I don't think she swallowed any of my hair i think.she just kinda chewed it up. So I got a nice chunk taken out lol. And that sounds like a good idea, i guess I just didnt wait long enough for them to stop kicking out their back legs

· Registered
375 Posts
If my boys aren't pulling my hair they are biting holes in my shirt. Lol. I had just got my new uniform shirts for work and went down to feed them and sat down to pet them a minute. Didn't think anything about them chewing it. The next thing I knew Flash had my new shirt chewed with holes in it that looked like it had been shot with a shotgun. Lol little stinker.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i trimmed my girls hooves while my boyfriend held them for me and it was much much easier. But now a few weeks later im noticing that one of my does is walking on her heels and after some research i figured that i dont think i trimmed the heels enough, so i want to correct her hooves and see if that gets her walking better before i see if its from something else.
But my question is, i didnt trim the heels because i felt like it wasnt part of the hoof and it was part of like the soft interior of the foot, almost like a horses frog (idk if im explaining this correctly sorry..) but i just want to know what parts of the hoof are okay to trim and what parts i should keep my trimmers away from
thank you for any suggestions to a beginner :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.