Hoof Injury

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Feb 1, 2010.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Delilah hurt her hoof. It happened sometime when I had the goaties out of their pens today...I have no idea how she did it and only noticed when I saw blood in the snow. I put her on the milk stand so I could clean it up and examine the foot. It appears that she somehow "sliced" about a 1/4" section of the outer wall of her hoof off. There's literally a vertical chunk of the hoof wall--from the ground to her hair line--missing.

It was not bleeding too badly...and thankfully does not seem to be causing a lot of pain. She is not limping and was running and playing like normal. So, other than keeping it as clean as possible, is there anything else I can or should do for this type of injury?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You could actually put some neosporin on it and wrap it for a couple days, that would probably help if heal quicker, but if she's not limping then it should heal up just fine on it's own. Poor girl.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ouch

poor thing

wrapping it might be an issue -- but if you can try using vet wrap and see how that works. Keeping it clean is not going to work out well

Blue Kote will work to keep infection away

4. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I know! I feel so bad for her...:(

I don't how well wrapping it would work but I will try tomorrow if the hoof looks dirty. Luckily we have snow now and we're expecting small amounts daily for the next few days--there's no mucky spots in their pen or anything which should help keep the hoof clean.

I don't have any blue kote but I did use gentled iodine on it. I thought about putting some bag balm on it because that is oil based and would not get rinsed off by the snow--the neosporin is a good idea too for the same reason.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you have snow then I think she'd be fine not wrapping it...I'm thinking of like our pen now...it's all muddy and wet out...very gross!

6. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Ugh...I know what you mean--I hate muck too! I am so glad everthing is frozen right now. Spring is my least favorite time of year because when the ground thaws out it's like walking on a dirty, soggy sponge. Poor goaties...

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds like you got it covered. :)

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    If you find you need to wrap it, it might stay on better if you put a sock over the wrap and tape the sock with duck tape (not too tight).

Jan

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry she got hurt.... :( I would stall her for a while...to keep her out of the muck....if you keep it dry.. it will allow it ...to heal faster ..as Stacey said blue spray or iodine will help it.... wrapping I don't think will do any good.... :hug:

10. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Thanks, everybody. She was favoring her foot a little bit this morning...but not as bad as I expected considering the injury. It looks sooo sore :( I decided not to wrap it as I think that would actually cause it to stay too moist and be an invite for hoof rot or some other infection. We have fresh snow right now and there are no muddy spots in their pen so keeping it clean has not been an issue.

I guess I will just keep an eye on it to make sure she does not develop any swelling or pus around the wound...and wait for it to heal. Does anyone know how long it will take this to heal? Will it be sore until that section of the hoof grows out completely or will the exposed flesh "harden off"??

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The hoof is like a finger nail ...and has to grow out.. which takes a while unfortunately... but... a protective coating of the wall.... should form as well.... :wink: :hug: