The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had a very wet spring/summer around here. I am noticing a chalky whiteness in some of my Nigerians hooves.....and some are having issues with the walls of their feet......breaking off or pulling away and having black crumbly texture inside.

Is this because of the wet weather or a dietary thing? Or do I need to be trimming them more often? I trim every 2-3 months. There is not always a lot of growth so I felt I was doing them often enough, but now this is happening.

Any suggestions on the causes and the treatment would be great. I bought the hoof treatment from Hoegger but I thought it was a topical treatment and now I think it is suppose to be given orally. Does anyone have any experience with it? I think the main component is Thuja which if I remember correctly from my homeopathic friend is good for circulation......I am not sure how much this is really going to help them though.

Suggestions/thoughts appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
If it has been really wet, I would probably treat for hoof rot. I have never used the treatment from Hoegger so I don't know the instructions for application.

·
1,524 Posts
Mine have been like that because of the wetness. Hoof rot and just wet hoofs, the hoof shell rips, the pads grow oddly. I need to trim more often to keep them semi normal.

·
2,962 Posts
I had a doe with the same symptoms a couple years ago. I cleaned her hooves everyday with a brush and water with a little bleach in it. Then after cleaning, I sprayed iodine on them. I did this for a week and they looked a lot better. I trimmed the area where the wall was pulling apart as much as possible and just trimmed where needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts