The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, I know the outside a goats hoof can separate from the frog of the hoof. If that happens the goat will limp on that leg and she can get snow and manure packed in there and that can make it worse.
Treatment is keeping the gap free from debris and keeping the hooves well trimmed.

This is the only hoof problem I've had to deal with.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
When I received the 3 neglected pygmy back in September, their hooves had not been trimmed since birth and they were 3 1/2 and 4 years old. The vet trimmed them back as much as possible, and then I had to soak them in iodine for a few everyday for a week.

They did not have hoof rott yet, but they were starting it. It stunk so bad and yes there was a bit of white "garbage" that we dug out.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See I have a doe, but her hoof does not smell. I think it is a hoof problem, and her hoof is whitish and you can kind of scrape some of her hoof off and it looks powdery.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will soak it in iodine. Do I use 7%? And do I use new iodine each time I soak it? No her hoof is all trimmed, it is where the frog is.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I would mix the iodine with warm water to where it is a dark tea color, and use new everytime so that it is warm water.

That is what we did in the vet clinics at least. They tend to like the warm water more then anything. I would soak it for about 5 minutes twice a day for about a week and see if that would help.

That is just my opinion though. As I am not a vet and I am just learning about caprine care. I am used to canine and feline care.

Let me know if that works. My vet will not be back from France for another 1 1/2 weeks, so I can 't call her - sorry. And how dare her go without me! LOL! you know I helped pay for part of that trip = hehe

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
France! That sounds great right now.....

Thanks! I will try that. I'll let you know if it helps.

Oh yeah, do I have to let her hoof dry before putting her back in her pen?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts