Hoof problem w/pic

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bheila, May 1, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Here's a little history...We got Pepper about 3 months ago from someone who owned her for a couple of months. Those owners aquired her from someone who owned her for 4 years and never trimmed her hooves, NEVER! I saw pictures of her hooves, they were 4 inches long. So since I've had Pepper her hooves have been getting better with regular trimmings. She does have a little hoof rot that we're dealing with and it's practically gone now. I check her hooves everyday so I was surprised to see what her hoof looked like when I saw it like this yesterday. I'm hoping that she just got stuck on something and that it's not anything else more serious. I was reading about Foot and Mouth Disease but none of the pictures look like hers. I don't know what to think of it. That's why I'm asking ya'll what you think. Also, what would you use to treat it with? FYI, she's supposed to be 3 months pregnant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: I shaved part of her hair on her foot that's why it looks a little funky.

2. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would say it may be or was an abscess

I've never seen one on my goats but I have seen them on horses, we use to soak the hoof in ebsom salt, not sure if a goat would allow that.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree it almost looks like an internal hoof abcess or one that is healing.

When you take the "scab" off and push on the hoof does anything ooze out?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh Poor baby. I have never seen anything like that before so sorry, I can not help. The only thing I would say is keep it clean and dry. Wash it with tea Tree oil and water.

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I don't think it's an abcess becauses it's at the top of both of her hooves. There isn't a chunky scab to take off, it's more like the kind of scab you get when you fall and scrape your knee. It doesn't seem to bother her. She's not limping or chewing at it. If it gets worse I'll take her to the vet though. I swear if I would've known how much work goats were :sigh: Thanks guys I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything more serious. I'm going to go out and soak it now to see if anything comes out.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    good advice everyone.. :wink: ...... it will eventually grow out as the hoof grows..... :greengrin:

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree that it looks like an abcess thats blown out. abcess' can apear anywhere in the foot. It will choose a path and go into a line and then blow out whereever. Sometimes it the top of the hoof sometimes the bottem sometimes the side. Abcess can last for a long time. My horse has one that he is working on blowing out in the bulb of his heel. he has had it sinse before christmas. When it "blows out" you will see a small hole. Very rarely you will see then gunk like you would in a skin abcess.
    Abcess really can apear anywhere, it looks like your doe is blowing her out on her coronary band. Where the hoof meets skin.
    Soaking it daily in epsom salt water is the best. Usually abcess' dont hurt the animal unless they are on the bottem of their foot.

Hope this helps.
    beth

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Well, I soaked her foot today. I wish I could get a closer picture of it. I made the mistake of letting my son use my camera for his Science Fair Experiment and now it doesn't work correctly. Her scab is now completely off. She has nice pink skin left behind. No holes, no pus, no blood, no gap in between the hoof and skin. I'm keeping her in a dry place and I'll keep soaking her foot every day. I'd hate to have it turn into something worse.

Thanks again everyone for suggesting to soak it. Sometimes in the midst of brain farts I forget the simplest things to do :wink:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds like your doing the right thing!

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How is her hoof now?

To me the wound really looked like she caught her foot somewhere, with no abcess or drainage and no tenderness on her part, it looked like a superficial wound.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes..........how is the hoof now?

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Her hoof is doing good. Slowly growing back in. We had moved her into a new area by herself with a new shed that had a gap in between the door and the floor where it closed. We think she got her foot caught in that gap. The problem is now solved especially since she'll be kidding soon. Thanks for checking back :wink: I was doing her hooves yesterday and thinking to myself how good it looked :cool:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are welcome....so glad it is growing out.........and looks better..... :wink: :)
    I am glad that......you figured out the source... that hurt her.....at least it shouldn't happen again... :hug: