The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will go in the order that the photos should show up.

On her back hooves, the doe tends to curve under with her outer section of her foot. The inner "toe" tends to shift forward when she is standing. She also is a little posty on the back legs, the hooves with this problem. Is there anything I can do trimming-wise to help with these issues? I have trimmed her a couple times since we got her, and her hoof wall tends to curve under on the outermost hoof wall on each back foot. Do I do anything to the sole of her foot during trimming (used to trim and dremel smooth my mare that I had years ago, just not on goats). If there is any information out there about trimming to correct problems, I could definitely use the info.

Now her front left hoof. It has a spot that looks a little cracked, horizontally, or at least chipped. It is a little, bulging, too. This is on my doe, on one of her front feet. Nothing smells weird about it. She is not limping. Is this just a ding she got to it back when it was in the new growth stage, or is it something I should be more concerned about? I can clean it up a bit more later and get a better picture, but I didn't see anything on the underside of her hoof to make me worry.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
One of my does does the exact same thing on her back feet also. Even when I trim (and I trim as short as I can go w/o making them bleed) she still does it. I don't know why.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
On the rear hooves the inner toe should be trimed shorter than the outer toe. I think i would try to trim that outer toe on the side so that it isnt folding under. How old is this doe she looks like she may have had really long misshapen toes at one time. She does toe out in the front but i dont think that was your question. That little chip is nothing to worry about although you could smooth it with some emory paper if it bothers you.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Also I was told copper helps with that as well. I bought a few does a few years back that I don't think ever had their hoofs trimmed but I could never get them to go normal. I started to give copper and now I can see a difference.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are suspecting copper deficiency here since my black and tan colored doeling is a tad rusty on her back legs. Glossy black everywhere else but there.

I've got her fairly trimmed down on that inner toe. How far do I go down? It is level with the sole of her foot. Unless I do anything to the sole as well. Or do I just keep trimming a smidge at a time?

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
On the rear hoof, trim the inside wall of the outer toe shorter than the outside wall to encourage it to roll back more straight. If a toe is sticking out more than another that means it is longer than the other so it needs trimmed shorter. You can trim the sole on the goat, you want the bottom of the hoof to be flat, you can take a rasp and rasp the sole so you don't cut too much.

On the front hoof it also looks like she is splay toed, to help correct this you want to trim the outside wall of both hooves a tiny bit shorter than the inside wall to encourage the toes to come together, also trim the inside of the heel. Usually the heel will grow in between the toes and cause the toes to be spread apart.

I recently got a little booklet on trimming goat hooves called "Nanny Manicures" by Diane Gray it has a lot of info on corrective trimming and just trimming in general.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I will have to look for that book!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys! I will look and see if I have my old rasp around here, and if not will look into picking one up. I need to bring my baby girls up for a trim later (one gets hooked toes on the inside back toes, so I know I need to blunt them a little bit). The doe, Bree, is a bit splayed on the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts