The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I'd see hooves this bad on a goat. I'm sure worse are out there, but I haven't seen them!

I have a couple of questions.

Should I be cutting more off?
Does it look like an infection? It smells horrible. When I started cutting into that hoof wall that was sticking out, the part that is orange in the pictures, it stunk to high heaven.

If it is infected, what do I need to do?

This took me forever to get just 2 of her hooves looking decent. I was overheated and so was she so I didn't finish the other two. I was going to go back but then we got slammed with a severe thunderstorm and there might be hail so I'm waiting to see if that clears up. I've been trying to rehydrate too. I wanted to finish those poor hooves so bad but I physically couldn't even though I wasn't holding her down, just cutting off the extra hoof. I feel so bad for not finishing yet but you can tell she's never had her hooves done.

Poor baby. I haven't even lifted the hair off the buck's to see his hooves.

This was her 5-6 month old buckling's hoof (all were just about the same so I didn't take pictures of all). His are all done.

Before

After

Doe's hooves

Thanks ahead of time.

·
14,615 Posts
Wow you really did a great job!
You can do a number of things for suspected hoof rot. Coppertox, Dr Naylor's Hoof & Heal, squirt either biomycin or LA 200 right in the hoof.
Or a good strong bleach solution.
None are going to be a one time application.

·
2,203 Posts
Doesn't look like rot to me. My guess would be all the caked and jammed up gunk in the hoof and wall itself. Great start to a long journey ahead!

If you think it could be rot, just squirt LA200 on the hoof itself and wrap it for a few hours with vet wrap. At least 2 hours. Treat once or twice a day and wrap between for minimum of 3 days.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You are doing a great job so far. I'm just going to look at the posts before me and say, "yeah, what THEY said!!"

I've seen and trimmed worse, and the goats came back pretty much to normal with little ill effects (some still tend to stand rocked back on their heels from years with toes so long that they HAD to stand on their heels) so i think with your care this will end up just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts