The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya
We just have 4 pet goats.
I've been told we have some hoof rot. I see lots of pictures here and there, but what would be really helpful is a picture of not-terribly-obvious-and-grotty rot, with circles and arrows on each one with explanation of what I am looking at, and should be looking for.

Also, is it between the digits, or in the crack---if there becomes one---between hoof wall and center?

And so forth.

My wife (but not anosmic I) will be able to detect if the feet are smelling bad.

I am so far treating with Dr. Whosis's soak, and have boldly trimmed hooves, which I have only seen done twice (seemed to go okay), and am working on drying their environment.

What I can't do is really tell if they have hoof rot, or know how I will tell when it is cured.

Thanks awfully,
denno

·
Super Moderator
59,744 Posts
I have not had to deal with hoof rot so far but you could get coppertox and spray their feet too. I would think they would just look like healthy feet and not smell when the hoof rot is cleared up.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You can trim there feet up,sprat iodine heavily to feet,I just treated a few,took about 2-3 weeks and pretty well cleared up,I tarted to spray daily and trimmed once a week

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, thanks.
What I am trying to do is determine if they actually have hoof rot. One guy told me so, but I cannot verify this from the pix online compared to my goats' feet. Also, my wife, whose sense of smell is excellent, says she is not smelling anything. Looking for something like a picture of not-awful hoof rot, with an arrow pointing to something in the picture and saying something like "See this? This is some infection. See this over here? This is just dirt." Like that.

thanks,
denno

1 - 4 of 4 Posts