hoof rot

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by countryboy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Can ya'll tell about this? What does it look like? Does it smell? How to prevent it? What meds do ya'll use? How do ya'll use them? Thanks ahead of time!

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Insufficient zinc in the diet can result in deformed hooves which crack and provide bacteria a way to enter the hoof. Kopertox®, merthiolate, or mercurichrom applied to the infected area as well as penicillin or oxy-tet injections. I have only had this one time with a rescue animal. THIS IS IMPORTANT >>>>>Quarantine the infected goat. It's ok to keep a group of goats together that have the same disease - just don't let them out with the rest of the herd and don't let "clean" animals in with them. Good luck hope this helps !!

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you for the response. I am not sure if it is hoof rot. That is why am asking the questions. It has been raining, ground is wet. I catch the goats to trim the hoofs. The hoofs are not that bad, BUT the pad[soft part between the hoof] looks like it has small holes or rips in it. This board is my come to help, so here I am.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    from what I hear yes hoof rot does have a smell.

During wet wether pockets do form at times so keeping them trimmed well is important. Sometimes there is nothing you can do but checking hooves regularly will help you catch anything early on.

I have never experienced it so I havent researched treatment.

5. jesse300

jesse300 Guest

Oct 28, 2009
    Foot rot in cattle dose stink, I have not had foot rot with goats.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    after it is all trimmed up and clean.... put hoof rot gunk on them ...even if it is not hoof rot... it will help heal any infection ...I would move them... to a clean..dry spot ...and not allow them... to go in the wet area's for a while ....dampness helps fuel rotting in the hooves..... Good luck

7. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
  8. jesse300

jesse300 Guest

Oct 28, 2009
    Something that helps a lot with cattle is putting down wood chips in mud holes and places that are traveled a lot. If you can’t dry up where there at then put down some lime where it’s wet.

9. Feathers-N-Fur

Feathers-N-Fur Guest

Oct 29, 2009
    Very important lesson I learned the hard way, ALWAYS disinfect the hoof trimmers between goats. I spread it from my one infected goat to the whole herd last year that way. I finally culled my girl who got it conically, no one has had it since.
    It does smell bad. You will see white around the hoof and/or foot. I usually find it between their toes. And most of the time you will see them limping. I use Hoof and Heel. Trim the hoof then squirt it on and hold the hoof up for a minute. Treat twice a day till it is gone. I've been told a shot of Pen G between the toes will treat it, but it has never worked for me.