hoof shears

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    What do you like? Is there a better brand than others? I trim my horses hoofs and I know that it is worth the money to get good quality tools.

How long do shears last?

can they be resharpened?

How do you care for them?

Anything else I need to know?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like the orange handled ones -- you can get them at jeffers or hoeggars they call them different names but they are the same hoof trimmers.

Teh green handled ones are called hoof rot shears and they arent as nice but they are usually cheaper and closest to the orange handled ones.

Yes they can be resharpened

I just keep mine clean and sometimes clean with alcohol

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks for the help in picking some out! :shades: Just ordered them! I liked the reveiws on the orange ones, too!

4. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I love my orange handled ones.. they are the best. I have mistreated them horribly but with a little sharpening now and then they are as good as new!

5. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Great! Thanks for your input!

6. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't like hoof sheers at all, I use a pair of diagonal cutters I "borrowed" from my husband's tool box. lol. I have a pair each of the orange and green handled ones, but always end up back using my diagonal cutters instead.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I actually use small horse hoof nippers. I trim horse hooves too so I found it easier for me to just use the nippers instead of the goat hoof trimmers. I haven't needed to resharpen them yet. I also just make sure they're put away dry. If you take care of them they could probably last a couple to a few years.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I use a pair of prune trimmers I got from TSC that I bought last summer, and they are just now getting to the point they need to be sharpened. I also have a similar pair I got as backup - on clearance at another store for $2.00 but have never needed to use them.
    I really like them, and am so thankful someone on here alerted me to using them! :)

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    LOL! WarPony,Don't they love it when we "borrow" from them??? HEE HEE!

KW, you don't find the nippers too big for such tiny feet? I thought about just using my nippers, but thought they would be too cumbersome. I'll have to try a number of things to see what I like.

I didn't think about using pruning shears.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup: :wink:

Before I got the pruners from TSC...I used heavy duty kitchen scissors!

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I find them just as easy to use as the other goat trimmers, but they're definately not for everyone. ;) If you are used to trimming horse hooves then using these for goats works really well too and it's easy to switch from the horse hooves to goats. This is almost exactly what I use...they're the smallest they make in horse nippers I do believe. I used to use these on my mini horses.

[​IMG]

12. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Oh, OK! Nippers for minis would be a lot smaller than standard ones. I bet those would work GREAT! If I don't like the shears then I might try a set of mini nippers. Mine are probably too big, they are standard size GEs

13. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, my standard size nippers are WAY bigger and heavier.