hoof trimmers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Sep 25, 2009.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    About to place an order on Hoegger's for the yellow mineral feeder & 9 second thermometer . . . I was also looking at their hoof trimmers. I saw that some of you recommend the Shear Magic ones on Jeffers, but I'd like to order all from one place. Has anyone used the orange-handled hoof trimmers from Hoeggers, SKU 27A? Are they any good?

I also have to order some fencing from Premier1 and they have the ARS hoof trimmer, which is a bit more expensive . . . but if anyone has an opinion on either, please share!

2. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    The best hoof trimming shears are Corona Floral Thinning Shears. They can be found at www.acehardware.com. Corona # FS4350 Ace #71412 Price $22.99 plus shipping. They are die-cast steel instead of stamped steel and hold an edge for years. I have used the same set for 5 years and had them sharpened once. Trimming 50+ goats every 2-3 months for five years (wish I had some rock for them to wear them hooves down!) and they work like a charm

3. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, sure Fred, you've had 'em for years cuz you don't lose them like I do! :wink:

Lots of people like the orange shears just fine -- I don't think there's much difference between the greena nd the orange....

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes those are the same trimmers Kids-n-peeps they just call them something different at each place

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I used the serated edge black handled ones, and found that after 20 goats you fingers would start bleeding and your calluses would wear off :shocked:

so I bought a nice pair of orange handled ones and am in love. :wink:

6. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks, everybody. I'll go with the orange-handled ones. I only have a few goats, so I imagine these will do the trick! Stacey - I thought they looked the same . . . I was hoping someone would tell me that they were one in the same -- thanks :thumb:

7. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    I have been using a pair of nice purple handle hoof trimmers for the past year that came from this place- http://www.goatsupplies.netfirms.com/misc.html

This guy was really nice to work with. He actually threw in the trimmers free along with several tubes of probotic paste when I purchased my capralite milking machine.

Shannon
    Poppy Patch Farm

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Mine are red and black. They still work awesome (5 years later!!) but can't seem to remember where I got them... :shrug: