Hoof Trimmers

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Sep 1, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thinking about ordering a pair from Jeffers, but depends on what Tractor Supply co. has.

Any idea which would be better? The orange handled ones by Shear Magic, or the Jeffers hoof rot with the green handle?

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have the orange handled Shear Magic shears and love them!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use the gray handled spring type pruning shears from TSC....Have 2 pairs actually, 1 for my own goats and the others for trimming other goats. $8 a pair and I've had no problems with them at all after 4 years of use, they have a point to the tip as well and I use that to dig out dirt before I trim.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like both the greend handled ones and the orange handled ones.

The difference I experienced is that the green arent as thin bladed. I like the thinner blades of the orange.

I think the handles on the orange ones are also more comfortable but that could be personal preference

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I use the green handled ones, though after 200 or more trims I noticed they chip I like how they fit in my hand :)

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much ! What I've been using is getting pretty dull, they are like scissors, and a rasp! I can get a good trim on them, but I want a closer trim, plus it's still hard to trim between the toes and thus is more time consuming.

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I went to TSC today so I could get a few things, and got the prune trimmers! They look almost identical to the hoof trimmers they had there, the hoof trimmers had some curve to them, and the prune trimmers don't, but for $7.99... I am not going to complain! :) I'll give them a try tomorrow!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the only thing with prunning shears is they dull really fast.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've not had a problem with the ones I got going dull, the spring in between the handles started to stick but a blast with WD40 fixed that. I've had mine now 4 years and with trimming 9+ sets of hooves they're still sharp.

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for the info on the prune trimmers. The only other trimmers they had I didn't really like, and they were $20. As long as these last a while I am okay with that :) I'm going to try them out this afternoon.

11. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

HoosierShadow - how do you like them? I need a pair of hoof trimmers and I'm thinking about getting those.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So far so good :)

13. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Thanks for the reply. Good! I'll get some. I have only 4 goats so I don't really need super long-lasting ones.

14. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I have a pair of the green handled ones but I mostly use my husband's wire cutters. I'm a lot less likely to hurt myself with them, lol.