The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how to get them to not move while I trim hooves? I have big goats and 1 Billy who is really jumpy. They all need hoof trims but I need ideas on how to do it without a milking stand. I don't milk my goats

·
Registered
469 Posts
Some people lay them down and sit on them. Before I goat my milk stand, I tied mine to the fence and pushed the side the I wasn't trimming against it so that they couldn't dodge me.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,839 Posts
tie them close to the fence. although, my new one is to use the gate like a milk stand. we have regular chain link fence with metal posts. I put her head through and tied the gate close enough her head that she can't get through but not so tight she was choking. seemed to work with my flaily doe. hope that makes sense....

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
969 Posts
Tie them to a fence, build a stand, or straddle the goat facing it's rear and pick up the hooves and trim.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If they are friendlier, you can just straddle their necks with your legs and trim. If they aren't, catch them and take their 2 front feet in one hand and their 2 back feet and the other and gently roll them onto their back. Hold their legs in the air so they can't get up and do the hooves like that. It's how I do it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
With smaller ones I lift up both back feet at the same time while straddling makes it so they can't really move!

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a milk stand for the chore but sometimes getting my boers up the stand is more troubled than just tied them to the fence. Beware though...one of them bit me while I was trimming his front hoof. He was able to turn his head and nibble on my arm. Not too hard but hard enough I yelled ouch. He smiled at me and let me finished the job. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts