Hoof Trimming clippers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kfin, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    So I had bought some pruning shears to trim the goats feet and they are dull already after only about 8 trimmings. So its time to trim again and I need some new clippers. Does anyone have any suggestions on any that work really well and last good?

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I use the orange ones from Jeffers, Ive owned them for 2 years and they still work excellent!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    orange or green handled ones from Jeffers or hoeggers

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Love my green handled trimmers and my mini rasp! :love:

Just some advice DON'T buy the hoof rot shears.....(mine have a black handle) Ugh those things don't work at all and they really hurt my hands!!!! :(

I also keep pruning shears in the tack box as a back up though...can't go wrong with those. :)

5. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Great thanks a ton. I just bought the orange handle ones on hoeggers. Now as soon as they get here I can start trimming :clap:

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've hated the orange trimmers ever since I"ve had goats, I've always had to buy 4 pairs a year because they'd go dull so fast from me trimming so many goats at a time. I also hated that when I was trimming somebody with hard hooves the trimmers would get stuck and try and split apart on me. So I was searching around Jeffer's one day and I found these:

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ars-hoo ... 2/cn/3308/

I ordered the 2 1/4" blades, and I got them before I left for vacation. I had to trim the whole herd of 30ish does, yearlings and kids(some of them with rockhard hooves from no rain) and these babies were slick and sharp. They're tool quality steel, so they won't wear down easily, they're sharp and stayed sharp through one trimming for me. I'm never going back to the orange ones again :p