The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
It's me again, thank you Madhouse for advice on not laying my kid doe on her side to trim her hooves.
Even though she sits so can't get at her hooves.
I did the trick you sad, and put treats in bowl with hay, worked very well.
Only second time I've trimmed kids, had them two months now.
My question is, I've trimmed off excess flap, and slightly trimmed hoof wall, etc, but Iam I right by just doing little every couple months, once I see growth, or should I wait longer for more growth?. I've a small rasp I use now and then, also take them for walk on rough areas, they also have hard standing plus paddock.
I've just tried to keep them as flat and neat as possible, without trimming too much, getting more confident now though.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Hi,
It's me again, thank you Madhouse for advice on not laying my kid doe on her side to trim her hooves.
Even though she sits so can't get at her hooves.
I did the trick you sad, and put treats in bowl with hay, worked very well.
Only second time I've trimmed kids, had them two months now.
My question is, I've trimmed off excess flap, and slightly trimmed hoof wall, etc, but Iam I right by just doing little every couple months, once I see growth, or should I wait longer for more growth?. I've a small rasp I use now and then, also take them for walk on rough areas, they also have hard standing plus paddock.
I've just tried to keep them as flat and neat as possible, without trimming too much, getting more confident now though.
Thanks again
I replied to you in your comversation. Good luck!
:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hoof trimming was the hardest part of having goats! Finally got a great pair of trimmers and just stick the hoof hold and it's MUCH easier! Good luck!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think someone else posted about these. It was a bit more than the ones I got from TSC, but holy cow, the first time I used it and was able to snip the overgrown parts off even before they were able to give the hoof a jerk?! Priceless!! I would highly recommend wearing gloves, as they are super sharp and if I hadn't had gloves on a couple times, I'd have trimmed my hand!

ARS HP-140LDX Long Bladed Multi-Purpose Shears -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VB1IPI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
8,157 Posts
I've always used the green handled ones from Tractor Supply. But everyone has their own preferences. Leather gloves are good. I'm too clumsy to not wear them!
Trim when you feel is needed. I check my milkers continually, every 2nd or 3rd goat gets checked and trimmed daily, so eventually, all get trimmed every few weeks to a month. (milking 60-75 daily, usually). The rest of the herd, I do 2-4 daily- but, sometimes I slack, then have to play catchup. Rutty bucks are the worst. Wet, stinky drippy legs with feet as hard as rocks, or worse, soft from mud. Yikes!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I think someone else posted about these. It was a bit more than the ones I got from TSC, but holy cow, the first time I used it and was able to snip the overgrown parts off even before they were able to give the hoof a jerk?! Priceless!! I would highly recommend wearing gloves, as they are super sharp and if I hadn't had gloves on a couple times, I'd have trimmed my hand!

ARS HP-140LDX Long Bladed Multi-Purpose Shears -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VB1IPI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I actually snipped a hole in my leather glove one time! I was shocked!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
It's when you snip a hole in your finger that makes you wish you had gloves on! :haha:
I was lucky to learn the lesson on the glove! I still use those gloves and the hole reminds me every time to be careful!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hoof trimming was the hardest part of having goats! Finally got a great pair of trimmers and just stick the hoof hold and it's MUCH easier! Good luck!
Yes, hoof trimming is a challenge, I have looked at a few videos on you tube, but in practice not so easy, Iam bit worried of not trimming enough, and bit unsure of how much of soft pad at heal to trim, should that be flat ? I hope that as long as I keep them clean as possible and keep the flap trimmed regularly and trim hoof walls best I can will be ok, and let them run and play on rough areas too, in time I hope to be more confident and experienced, they are little wrigglers though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts