Hoof trimming mini tutorial coming

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by crocee, Jan 18, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well my 4 days off this week will consist of building a new hay feeder and trimming feet. The skittish buck will be the first as hes the worst. His feet have NEVER been trimmed and are very overgrown. I gave him a month to settle in but now hes spending a lot of time on his knees. He can walk but it looks like its starting to distress him a bit. I can do the other 4 goats in maybe 30 minutes so they will be done last. IF I can get at least the front feet done on Wednesday I will be very happy. I figure it will take me and 3 helpers to catch, restrain, and trim these feet. One of the helpers will be holding a camera( possibly a video ) to do a tutorial. Normally I wouldn't do a tutorial since there are already several done by members here, but these are really, really bad and will cause problems if not done very soon. Others can learn from the fiasco that's about to begin. Wish me luck and any tips appreciated.

2. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'd be very interested in a tutorial. Please let me know when and where yours will be available. Likewise any other video tutorials on hoof care for goats.

Good luck w/your buck!

Deb Mc

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Mother nature is not cooperating with me and is going to rain on my parade. We are supposed to get buckets of rain tonight and tomorrow. Between work and rain my plans are being thwarted but I will get this done asap.

DH said Zeus was making a clicking sound when he walked but was walking around more than he was resting on his knees. The overgrown hoof is what was clicking.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well the trimming tutorial didn't turn out as a tutorial rather its going to be a "Never let this happen to your goats"

Read the post in Special care when I get it posted cause this is bad, really bad.