Hoof Trimming Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Droopymole, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    ok...a couple of the goats have hooves that stick out about an inch or two....can I cut that off in one trimming? Or do I need to do it bit by bit? Help me, I'm clueless!!!!!!

Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not sure what you mean, can you explain further?

Stick out in the front like the toe part is to long? or is it just the hoof is to long?

3. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    The hoof itself. I don't know if I should cut it off today, or slowly work it off...

4. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    If it is just the hoof wall, you can cut it off at once. Might be some light bleeding, but it won't kill them.

If it is the hoof itself, it needs to be cut a little at a time. Trim until you see pink and then stop!!!!

More details would be helpful!!!

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Like the end of your fingernail, anything that is beyound the quick of the hoof can be trimmed. If it were me, I might try to remove excess growth in two trimming just to allow them to adjust bewteen- do a big one then wait a few days and start cutting back to the living hoof.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I say slowly do what you can cut off until you see pink or very light hoof.

Then after that go back in say a week or so and check the hoof again to see if you can cut more off.

Just work at it until you get them to where they need to be.

It took me like 9 months to get Misty and Flicka's hooves where they are manageable.

7. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Maybe I should get a picture..I don't know how to explain it...lol

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    yah a picture would be good. Even if you are taking it all off at one trimming - do it a little at a time so that you know when to stop!!!

9. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Okay this one isn't the worst...one of my bucks has longer ones....

[​IMG]

Does that help?

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Why'd you wait so long to trim them?

11. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    I didn't know how, we bought them worse than that....the foot in the picture (which is Dottie's hind right...lol) was a good two inches longer than that. I finally decided to just do it, and hope I figure it out...but I need some better clippers, i am using kitchen scissors now, and they hooves are so bad they aren't doing a thing....

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You need to cut those toes off. We had a couple get that bad. Just make small precise cuts so that you don't trim to much off. When you see pink, stop.

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    You can trim off that long toe close to where the other one is. If you don't have foot shears, you can use garden hand pruners to get the most off.
    It will be easier to clip if the foot is not really dried out. Good for you to check it out- she'll be happier for it.

14. DancinGoatGal

DancinGoatGal New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Central, WV
    A hoof rasp might be a good investment for you if their hooves are bad.. A course file CAN be used.

Or a Stanley Sure Form Rasp - same basic thing as a hoof rasp..

Just take it slowly :)

15. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    gardening pruning shears would work better than scissors if you have any. Without seeing it from the underside I too would guess that you could shorten the one to the legnth of the other. When I brought Bucky home last fall his feet where much worse, (that was just the way he came!!!). If your goats go outside when it is damp. ie. morning dew, after a rain storm. The moisture will help soften the feet and make them cut a little easier.

16. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Okay, I am gonna go buy some hoof trimmers though...I need to go get some straw anyway....