hoof trimming

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ArcticGoats, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Do any of you use a 'hoof trimmer plane'? Its looks like its a hasp that you kind of use after you trim to smooth out the rouch edges or to get that final little bit...I saw one at Hoeggers...it seems like it might be handy....

Thanks!

(oops - i think i mean Rasp) :oops:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I thought so too, but it just falls apart. Not worth the money. :(

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    nope - just trimmers and a few rocks in the pen!!!

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Sometimes I do...but it's kind of a pain. Generally I just use the trimmers.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We do use one for the shows. We bought ours at Home Depot. It fits in the palm of you hand. We trim first then just use it to even it all out and get it nice and flat.

6. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    home depot makes more sense!!! i was just looking to order some ammonium chloride as i can't find it here in town and the shipping is more than the product so i was trying to make it more worth while...think i'll wait on them or find something local...

i think rocks in the pen is a good idea too! (although right now its all snow and ice) - i could see making a little pile of cement blocks...

7. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    We also use the thing that sweetgoats talked about , Its called a sure form. It made by Stanley tools.it It looks like a hand held cheese grater and the blades are changeable . A blade stays sharp for about 10-15 trimmings works great.
    Karen

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah.. we got the kind from Hoeggers, they aren't worth a hill of beans if you ask me. The only thing they're good for is cheese.. I think we have a large block I could try it on actually :wink:

9. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    So I looked up stanley surform on the net - there are 3 different types - which do you use? the pocket plane, the flat file or the shaper? I was thinking of something more like the flat file????

10. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    Its the pocket plane , I had to look it up to see what they look like . Hubby says it is the best for him . He uses the nippers and then finishes with the surform
    Karen

11. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We used to use the plane.

12. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Thanks Everyone for the the great tip re: the hoof plane!!! We picked up a sureform at Home Depot for about $8 and it works great (sorry to be so long in answering but time just flies....). Anyway, just wanted to let you know it was GREAT advice and was just what we were looking for - it trims up ragged edges and levels the hoof after using the clipper and really helps our hoof trimming - or rather really helps us hoof trimming rookies! Thanks again!

:leap: :leap: :leap: