The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Treats! Treats almost always make a goat do what you want.

And also getting them in the stand not just for hoof trimming, so they're used to it. Make it a positive experience! Lock them in, then brush for a minute maybe, handle the hooves, etc. while lavishing them with praise and a few treats.

·
2,203 Posts
Always end bad with good. Get a feed tray and give them their grain on the stand. You may have to drag their big ole heavy butts up there the first couple times. Helpers are always good. We train everybody on the stand. Kids, does, bucks. 250# bucks might I add. Lol should see the stand wobble a bit when their big butts hop up!

·
2,203 Posts
Megan you are so right!
And reading the first sentence of your post I saw "Always end bad with food.":D
Hey, the food works great too!! Lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
When i got my boys i started handling them like u would a foal. I guess imprinting works on goats to. I would hold them and rub all over the bottoms of their feet...they are tickleish i found out. Lol. And i handled their ears and pet them a lot. I can cut one of them while he eats. And the other he is a stinker and i get about one of his done while he eats. Then my husband has to hold him for the other 3. I got some 4" non-slip tape for side walks and put it on everything they jump on to help with keeping their feet filed a little. So if u get them young start touching their feet and such. :)

·
Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie
159 Posts
Like what Mjs500doo said, always make sure the goat's trimming experience isn't a totally bad one. Before and after trimming, I give my goats treats and strach them in their favorite spot. As for holding your goat still, my father just firmly head locks the goats and I use one hand to lift a leg and the other to clip the hooves. We both talk to the goat with a soft voice. Also, I would recommend trimming your most skiddish, nervous, or shy goat first. If you were to trim this goat last, they would watch or hear what the other goat was going through and try to escape from you. One of my goats, Rose, is like that. She is shy and doesn't like to be touched. she always hatches a plan to escape from us if we don't trim or bathe her first.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. We got the goats in late July and the were born Feb 26 so they are about 7 months old. I thin the previous owner trimmed them once so this will be the first for them with us and my first attempt at trimming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts