The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, one of my goats hoof needs trimmed pretty bad, her other ones aren’t near as bad, my question is how much of the toe can you trim off ? She has black hooves so it’s hard to see when you’re getting to close to the pink. I’ve never trimmed their hooves “ till recently “ I just held them while a friend of mine trimmed them, but he cannot do them any more. Her hoof is slightly turned inward, how do you fix that? I don’t want her going lame or anything. Thanks for any advice :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
85,671 Posts
Toes are needs to be trimmed do it slowly, when you see pink, stop.
Try to get the bottom as flat as you can, so bringing the toe area down, will let you see a more flat surface on the bottom.

It may take every 3 weeks trimming if you see pink during the treatments.

·
8,492 Posts
The actual hoof itself on the bottom will probably be whitish, after you cut the flap of hoof that has overgrown the bottom. If you nick the hoof and it bleeds a little, rinse it with clean water, dry it and wrap with a piece of gauze and paper tape. It will protect the sore area from dirt and the tape etc. will pretty much fall off in a few days.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The actual hoof itself on the bottom will probably be whitish, after you cut the flap of hoof that has overgrown the bottom. If you nick the hoof and it bleeds a little, rinse it with clean water, dry it and wrap with a piece of gauze and paper tape. It will protect the sore area from dirt and the tape etc. will pretty much fall off in a few days.
Thank you so much!! I appreciate all advice you guys gave me. :bighug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts