Hoof wall abscess

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dayna, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    Recently my doe Miyah got a swollen hoof and ankle.

I watched it for a day, and the next day swelling went up to her knee and she was running a temp of 104.7

I administered banamine and started a 5 day course of baytril.

I had my vet out two days into treatment for donkey dentals and had her take a look at it. I’d never seen anything like this in a goat, only equine.

She agreed with my course of treatment and Miyah finished up antibiotocs yesterday. Swelling is gone. She’s still limping slightly but I probably would be too.

Anyone else ever see this? I’m curious how it occurred. In my donkeys it would have likely been from white line disease and some debris traveling up the hoof wall, getting encapsulated, and then forming an abscess. But I didn’t think goat hooves had the same anatomy as equine.

Miyah has very sturdy hooves, that stay in good shape. Rarely requiring trimming and she’s never had rot (unlike most of my other goats who get it often).

Thoughts? IMG_4255.jpg IMG_4256.jpg

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Kass like this.
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Stepping on something like a nail etc. could push bacteria up into the hoof. Weeks later it turns into a raging infection and abscess.
    Soaking it in hot Epsom salts helps draw the infection out.

It's good to hear from you! I hope things are going ok (besides the bad leg on your goat).

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    puncture was my thought as well. might do a tetanus antitoxin shot as well just in case. Glad Miyah is going strong other than this issue!! : )

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Dayna like this.
  4. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    Thanks guys. I will see if I can grab some anti toxin. It’s been 7 full days since thr swelling showed up. Do you think it would still be needed at this point or not?

Things have been going good. Life has been busy, new donkey since old Bart passed away, new puppy since our older dog passed away (and this guy is the love of my life!!!), new (first) grandbaby born mid June. Inter island travel is banned so I got to see her a couple times after she was born but not in a while so that’s very sad.

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Tetanus can take 2 to 4 weeks to show its ugly head. I would definitely give it to her.

Moers kiko boars and Dayna like this.
  6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    congratulations on the grandbaby!! I have a 9 year old and 1 year old who live far away in Alaska. Its hard when we can't see them often!

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Dayna like this.
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Congratulations on all the new animals and a big congratulations on the granddaughter! I hope you get to see her soon!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats on the grand baby. :)

I agree with the others.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I had a goat get an abscess in his hoof once many years ago but we caught it before it swelled all the way up his leg like your goat's did. I had a vet out because I couldn't figure out why my goat was limping so badly and the vet found a thorn imbedded deep in the side of the hoof. He couldn't pull it out so he wrapped it in a bandage full of pine tar which works as a drawing salve to pull out the infection. If I remember correctly we left it on for 2-3 days and the hoof was right as rain when we pulled it off. Epsom salts also work well for this if you can get your goat to stand still for a good soak.

10. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    I did try the epsom salt soak like I would for our donkeys. That was.... fun? Haha I ended up covered in salty water. Lol

11. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the GRAND BABY! Also on all the Newbies. Glad to see you back on TGS!

Dayna and MadHouse like this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California