The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on Miriams hooves for a while now.

Goats with hoof problems keep being given to me. Once they are so bad they have trouble walking people rehome them.

This goat was given to me in GREAT condition, recently. Her previous owner is fabulous and we talk almost everyday.

I've never seen this before. There was muck and black yuck in between the outer hard part of the hoof and the soft inner part.

I scraped it all out, did a bleach water soak, trimmed it back as far as I dared. I left most of the rest of the hoof alone because it seems to be causing her pain.

Hoof rot? ALL her other hooves look fantastic. Trim, straight, etc.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I would think that it is some form of hoof rot. At the rate you are going, you will be the "go to gal" for hoof problems.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, here in Keaau Hawaii we get rain daily. However they ARE on lava rocks so there is no standing water, with several shelters of 100% dryness to choose from. Mineral block and loose minerals.

I was keeping her in the back orchard but I guess she's joining hoof rot boot camp up in the front with my two other girls.

·
14,615 Posts
Stephanie it could be lack of good minerals, but our old wether who gets plenty loose hangs out under his hay rack shelter where the ground is soft & has this problem.
It drives me nuts.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Any chance she foundered? I don't know about goats, but I know that the hoof wall can separate in foundered horses.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
Dayna, we will be calling you the hoof queen soon. You have had so many problems with hooves and you are having success with clearing it up.

·
Registered
30,611 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
With founder they would have distorted looking feet. I would call that white line disease. WIth horses it goes horn (outer wall), water line, white line, fleshy material. The white line is what holds the hoof to the flesh. A bacteria or fungus invades the white line and eats it away and this is what you end up with.

THere is this stuff called "white lightning" that you can use, or clean trax is also another good one. I have heard better things about clean trax.

It will take a while for the hoof to grow out after you cure it too. The problem is that if you don't get ALL the ickies out of there, it will just keep eating away further up the while line.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Foundered means they can't walk? Right? She walks just fine!

Hoof queen.... Maybe I need a new user name! haha!
No, foundered doesn't necessarily mean they can't walk. Whether they can walk or not depends on how badly they foundered and how it was treated. Foundered is the result of something that has altered their hoof growth - usually, but not always front feet hooves. Things like being turned out on lush new grass in the spring, too much grain, I believe pregnancy can cause founder under certain circumstances, certain illness, there are a lot of things can that cause an animal to founder. In all cases it results in abnormal growth of the front (usually) feet, can result in hoof wall separation, and usually results in the rotation of the navicular bone within the front feet.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
With founder they would have distorted looking feet. I would call that white line disease. WIth horses it goes horn (outer wall), water line, white line, fleshy material. The white line is what holds the hoof to the flesh. A bacteria or fungus invades the white line and eats it away and this is what you end up with.

THere is this stuff called "white lightning" that you can use, or clean trax is also another good one. I have heard better things about clean trax.

It will take a while for the hoof to grow out after you cure it too. The problem is that if you don't get ALL the ickies out of there, it will just keep eating away further up the while line.
If I'm understanding your post, you're saying you can "cure" founder? White Line disease is not founder, nor do all animals who founder have distorted hoofs. Again, it depends on how badly they foundered to begin with.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
No, I am saying you can cure white line disease. No, founder is NOT WLD, nor was I saying they were the same thing. When I said "I would call that white line disease" I mean THAT by what Dayna is dealing with on these feet. I can see how the way I worded it is a bit confusing.

Just to clear things up, I do not think this doe has foundered. I think this doe has WLD. I think she would benefit from a clean trax or white lightning treatment, but I think the clean trax works better.

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
I have never heard of White line disease, so I read up some..its causes are a bit like Founder...here is a link on WLD ..
http://www.valleyvet.com/library/dr-hickman-white-line-disease.html

I had dealt with a few new goats who had something like this in the past, looked like a fungus invastion...good luck with your goat..I know you will clear them up in no time

1 - 20 of 22 Posts