The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I noticed I don't know how long ago my Nubian doe's hoof wall came apart and grew apart from her hoof pad. I thought if I trimmed the wall to the place it attached again maybe it'd attach back and grow normally.

I was wrong, of course. If hasn't really gotten any worse. It doesn't seem to hurt her, because she is a dramatic doe who shows when she hurts, and she doesn't even limp on it. When I go to trim her hooves, I clean out the pocket and trim it to the attachment point because it never is becoming attached and it fills with dirt. It hasn't bled EVER since I found it like this, though that doesn't mean it hasn't bled before. No damage (like a cracked wall or cut pad) is present that I can tell. Its on her back left foot.

Is there anything I can do to reattach it? It doesn't seem to hurt her but I'd like it to look right again if it is possible. Should I stop clipping it back and just wash it out? If so, how often do I wash it out?

I clipped it back about 4 or so days ago, and took the picture about 15 minutes ago. I rinsed it out with a hose since it had sand and dirt on and in it.

We didn't buy her like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
I had a goat with this issue..I trimmed her hooves every week to the pink until it all caught up together..with that much side wall gone it will take a while to get it corrected..keeping the hoof trimmed well is important..keeping the dirt cleaned out..I also washed with iodine...Dont trim off the wall any more..allow it to catch up while you keep the rest of the hoof trimmed flat.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a goat with this issue..I trimmed her hooves every week to the pink until it all caught up together..with that much side wall gone it will take a while to get it corrected..keeping the hoof trimmed well is important..keeping the dirt cleaned out..I also washed with iodine...Dont trim off the wall any more..allow it to catch up while you keep the rest of the hoof trimmed flat.
Thanks, what do you mean by trim to the pink? I've always just trimmed flat (till it is aligned well with the pad)

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
trimming until you see a fresh pink pad,getting all the build up off it....but not to the point they bleed..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trimming until you see a fresh pink pad,getting all the build up off it....but not to the point they bleed..
Thanks, I've only ever bled one goats hooves, it wasn't my goat and her hooves were very badly deformed. I actually bled two feet on the tip of the hoof and had to trim one right and it cut a whole side really bad. She healed up nice, but passed due to a delivering issue.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
Oh I make them bleed often..not on purpose lol..but some times I go just past the pink and little tiny bleeders accure..they dont bother the goats..but sure bothers me lol..: )

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, it didn't seem to bother this girl. I mean I really cut her foot bad but it was the only way to set it right. I told her owner to watch out for it. It healed up and was almost right before she passed (She was a pygmy and her owner dumbly let her breed to a fainter). Her daughter from a previous breeding had the same issue, she made it though. Her feet weren't as bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts