Hoofs trimmed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Jul 6, 2019.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Finally I got to trim the hooves if my new goats I just bought. Boy someone has neglected them. One shape up pretty good but Oreo I don’t know about yet. Her hoofs are solid on the bottom. I trimmed but was really by trial. I would have taken pictures but did not have my camera (phone) with me and they are very skiddish of any one coming around. It takes two to hold them. The bottom of hooves where like solid hoofs. I will look again in about 3 weeks and trim again. I flatten them the best I could. Any ideas without pics to look at? Why someone would let them go so long is beyond me. I show their pics but not the hooves yet. Oreo is the black one. Straw is the light colored one. Thanks IMG_2037.jpg IMG_2039.jpg

kwintyn and elvis&oliver like this.
  2. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I'm glad they've ended up with you, Tom.

They need selenium, btw.

Sfgwife likes this.

3. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Yes, and ridicolously much kindness! They are obviously not accustomed to humans being nice.

As for hoofs, they are not so well visible in the grass. Any possibility to get a photo on a concrete surface?

TCOLVIN likes this.
  4. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Don’t have any concrete surface. I may can get a piece of plywood down. My helper has left for Michigan for a couple of weeks, but we will try. It’s all two can do to hold the Straw one. Both are a hand full.

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    What do you do when the bottom of hoofs are solid all the way across?

6. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Maybe a rasp? Someone on here has a hoof rasp with a plastic handle. Handle is one you put four fingers through, like a plastic scrub brush.

7. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I was pondering, if the hoofs would be more visible on a flat surface. Because these two are so - what do you say - skittish? Not so good to hold them by force, and teach them to even more avoid human contact. And they will for sure not stay lying when a human with a camera comes closer, so any hoof that is visible when lying down will again be invisible behind grass straws in half a second! :p

Yes, things really get easier when the goats compete over the best lap! :sleep:

8. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Jeffers Supply carries them. It's the "mini rasp", Equi-Essentials. It is orange, has a great easy to hold handle, and measures 5/8" x 5". I like it especially for the comfort while holding and using it. Unlike the design of one resembling a file, you don't have to use a clinched fist type grip. Sorry, tried to copy a link, didn't go very well.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  9. mariarose

NigerianNewbie likes this.
  10. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
  11. mariarose

I don't understand the language use here, so I just don't know how to answer you. I'm confused as to what you are seeing and asking, because hooves are solid, and I don't even want to picture rasping away until the hoof is gone, that would leave a bloody bony mess.

And I know you don't mean that!

These videos may help you

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Ok, after your pics and several you tubes, I don’t see the “pads “. They are all hoof material. I don’t see have to clear the pads again. It’s like it all grew together. If I can get some help this week I’ll post pics.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  13. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    It must be a flap of hoof wall folded over the sole. There is an edge somewhere, it may be difficult to find.

Sfgwife and mariarose like this.
  14. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I see now , it’s the pads are covered up and I don’t see an opening to uncover ( or should I say “clip) them

15. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    If I can get some help to hod her o will try it again. I understand now what you are saying. It just looks like it is solid hoof but some where is an opening to start trimming back to expose pads. Right?

Dwarf Dad and Sfgwife like this.
  16. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Do the hoof overlap ever grow together? In other words form one big cover with no opening?

17. mariarose

OH, the hoof WALL! Well that makes so much more sense. Yes, that all needs clipped away. Use the point of your hoof clippers to find a way in and start snipping.

You may well find rot under there because an overgrown wall will hold nastiness against the hoof and allow rot to start.

There will be an opening, I promise. They do not grow solidly together.

I'll see what pics I can find, now that I understand what you see.

Poor things.

18. mariarose

Does it look anything like this? Because this is hoof wall you are seeing here.
    [​IMG]
    Here's another one, where you can see how the wall grows over.
    [​IMG]
    The source for the above pic https://goodgoats.blogspot.com/2011/11/trimming-very-overgrown-hooves.html
    I could not show the source for the first pic, that page was blocked for me. But it was such a clear depiction of an out of control hoof wall that I thought it might be useful.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  19. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Yes but more solid over foot bottom.

20. mariarose

If you mean more solid than the second pic, yes I know. I included that so you can see how it grows, in hopes it will show you how/where you can start digging under.

In the first pic, the hoof wall is completely and solidly across, so I have to think you don't mean the first picture.

TCOLVIN and toth boer goats like this.