hoove trimming ?????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Do most of you trim the dew claws (I think that's what they call them) on your goats? I have read where you can if they get to long and I noticed my boys have grown......I have only ever trimmed their actual hooves.......how do you know how much of the dew claw to trim?
    Thanks

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    trim a little off at a time ...when you see pink color ...you should stop ...they will bleed if cut to short....

3. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    We trim ours because when we show some judges will check to make sure they have been trimmed.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I trim them sometimes when they start to look long or rough--Just take off a small amount at a time and if you start to see pink, stop.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Same here. I don't trim it every time we trim the actual hoof but when I see it getting long, then snip just a little bit off at a time. I never go 'til I see pink, just enough so it looks better.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YEP only when needed. I have figured it takes a few years before they really need trimmed. In my herd anyway.

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I have never even thought about trimming them

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never trimmed them :shrug:

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I was just wondering this too. I have one doe that had some that are a little long.

10. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I trim as needed, but since all my goats have dark hooves I go till grey since pink is blood.