The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so I'm 14 and my male 2 year old alpine has had problems with his hooves he had a deep hole in his front hoof and I will be honest over the winter I didn't keep up with his hooves like I should have but it healed now my problem is his hooves are flaking and chipping and I cant have them like that for fair and I don't want him to be in pain. How can I heal them up??? And provent!??!

·
Registered
504 Posts
as far as the hole it was probably an abscess. and for the cracking try hoof heal. honestly the best thing to do us get a Vet out though IMO

·
Registered
504 Posts
does he get loose minerals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he can walk on them they outer shells on his hooves are chipped and stripping off they look bad I've heard baby oil but I just don't know

·
14,615 Posts
Maybe he could use a good trimming, does he stand on fence?
It sort of sounds like the hoof wall is seperating. A good trim, maybe some Dr Naylors squirted in there. Is it damp where you live?

·
Registered
504 Posts
IMO is in my.opinion if he can walk trim them and if you have.to do it a little at a time. my boer.had TERRIBLE feet.when I got her and Hoof Heal worked wonders

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
It sounds like the hood wall is separated, trim as much as you can keep correcting them as much as you can. Try feeding sunflower seeds, or some sort of feed that will give him some more oils to condition his feet and hair.
You could try soaking his feet, and putting a hoof nourishment on them.

·
2,203 Posts
Trim them up real nice, take some Epsom salts out with you and give that foot a good salt soak in warm water. For about 5-10 mins at least. Once soaked, take a toothbrush and scrub the gunk out of that hole. Gently rub your finger in the hole and see if anything sharp is in there. Smell the foot. If it's stinky, inject (into the hole, no needle) some LA200 or put tetracycline powder on the foot and cover with vet wrap. I would say he's fine but Nancy's right. Pics never hurt!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts