The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the poor picture quality!! If I had gotten closer, Austin (the buck) would have run away.

Terrestrial animal Snout Horn Goat-antelope Goats

Hey guys, look what I found.

Vertebrate Mammal Goat Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope

What do you think it is?

Vertebrate Mammal Goat Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope

Must be a new toy for us to play on.

The kids played on Austin for about 5 minutes. Jumping on and off. He barely even moved his head the whole time.
What a good Dad.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
So cute! When one of my old brominated had a colt I caught him one morning draped over her back. Two front legs on one side hind legs on the other just laying and taking a nap across his momma. Got to love kids and foals!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I don't usually keep bucks around (as bucks at least!) after breeding season, but the summers that I have, I've loved watching the kids and bucks interact. It seems that bucks are much more tolerant of kids than wethers are. My big bucks even "adopted" the bucklings when I weaned them and banished them to the boys' pen. It was super sweet to watch them comfort a crying baby. As nasty and unpleasant as bucks can be, their concern for the younger members sure adds a bit of emotional depth to the herd dynamics around here.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't usually keep bucks around (as bucks at least!) after breeding season, but the summers that I have, I've loved watching the kids and bucks interact. It seems that bucks are much more tolerant of kids than wethers are. My big bucks even "adopted" the bucklings when I weaned them and banished them to the boys' pen. It was super sweet to watch them comfort a crying baby. As nasty and unpleasant as bucks can be, their concern for the younger members sure adds a bit of emotional depth to the herd dynamics around here.
Yes my buck does the same things. He loves his little son that was weathered and is now his buddy. He absolutely loves all his little ones.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was very cute this morning at feeding time. Once everyone was tethered, two little kids went over and stuck their faces into Dad's food bowl to see what he was eating. He didn't mind, and let them share. Not that they ate any of it. He could have easily pushed them out of the way, but he didn't. He kept to one side of his bowl and let the little ones explore the other side. Another photo missed.

Though always somewhat surprising to see the kids playing on Dad and not being afraid of him, it does make sense. If you had males of a herding species hurting the young, it would be hard to keep the species viable.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Even in the wild. Lion prides the cubs will clamber all over dad and he will sleep through it. Mom on the other hand will get annoyed. My springbuk ram plays with the little one teaching her the art of head butting and feeding. They are often found sleeping in the same space. It is amazing to watch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts