Hope is limping *Picture Added* - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hope, my pregnant Nigi, is limping. Not a horrible limp, she puts weight on it, but its noticeable and I am concerned.

My first thought is hoof rot. We have had some rain lately and the ground has been wet and some parts of the pen can get very muddy before drying back out. (HURRY UP SUMMER!)

What does hoof rot look like? I looked at her hoof and it looks like this is the issue. The only only thing I could thing of is she perhaps jumped out of their bathtub (old cast iron bathtub, they like to sleep in it) and hurt herself. No heat or swelling on any joints/shoulder and I can manipulate that leg without problem, so I'm pretty sure its the hoof.

Thanks

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Hope is limping

I would just watch it and see how she does. Did you trim her hooves up? Are they over grown?

The kid/s could be pinching a nerve on here or she could have layed on it wrong or tweaked it.

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I keep their hooves trimmed, that was a first thought too. They don't need trimming at all, so not a problem.

I hadn't thought about the kids, but this is a front hoof (forgot to mention). Could they still cause an issue? :?

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

If it was hoof rot then there would be an oder.

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I will check this evening.

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Nope, no smell. :scratch:

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I'd say she hurt it somehow. Unless she continues limping then I wouldn't be too concerned. . . . at this point anyway. Is there any way there could be something that got stuck in there?

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I checked very closely, and will be doing again tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on her and hope it clears up. :shrug:

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

It being a front hoof with no sign of hoof rot...is there a way she could have caught it in something? Mine like to stand up on the bottoms of their hay rack and I've seen them get a hoof caught when stepping down...no real trauma, just enough to cause a limp.....and make me worry.
    I'm sure she'll be all better by tomorrow.

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I'm sure its possible she caught her leg in something (fence, hay feeder, tripped hopping out of the tub, etc etc), so I'm hoping it is just sore and it will clear up.

I'll update tomorrow, here's hoping she's better. :pray:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

poor you and Hope! as long as she is still acting and eating all right, there isnt heat or swelling it probably is just a minor sprain.

12. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I sure hope so! She is her same old self, just with the limp. Poor baby.

13. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

The fleshy part of the hoof can get bruised--so maybe she was playing around and landed on it wrong...that is another possiblity...and if it's the case, she'll be better in a day or two. :)

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana

I have a doe who limps when she's pregnant. I took her to the vet last year and he couldn't feel anything. He thought she's probably pulled or torn something. I had a CAE test done and it was negative. The limp cleared up when she was a week or two fresh, but has come back now that she's bred again. I noticed the other day that it's her pastern area. It sort of pops when she walks. She must have sprained it a while back and the weight of her pregnancy (she's huge with 6 1/2 weeks to go) is affecting the old injury. You might want to check your doe's pastern area.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

A good way to find the problem is run both of your hands at the same time down both of her legs. Feel the same spot on both legs at the same time, this way you can detect any little diffence in heat or swelling. She probably just got butted or something.
    beth

16. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

She is still limping today, so I'll check those things next time I go out. Poor girl, it makes me feel so bad I can't figure out what's causing this. She's only in with Uno, her wether pal, so its not as likely she got butted, but never say never with goats, as I've learned. :(

17. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California

The last picture on this page is hoof rot. Could also be an abscess they can be cause by mud and wet conditions. Shelly

18. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

On what page? :? I must be missing something.

I felt her legs very carefully and can't find anything amiss. There has to be a reason why she is limping, I hope I figure it out ASAP.

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

how badly is she limping? Is she putting any weight on her leg?

20. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California