Hope kidded prematurely

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Lawanda, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    She had a baby boy and he died. :tears:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry :hug: Delivering a month before her due date, is it likely that she could have been hit by another goat to cause the miscarriage?

3. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Yes I am positive she was. :( Our other goats are just not used to being around other goats, and they have very long horns. They were away getting bred and we brought them home last week and I am positive they butted her :(

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Lawanda....I am so sorry .........you lost him... :( :hug:

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am so sorry to hear that! :hug: :(

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh thats so sad, I had that happen to a doe this year too, thouygh she was only a month bred. :(

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    OH no! I'm so sorry. :hug: :(

8. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    She had another one sometime early this morning. It was a girl, and I would say it was born dead. The membranes were still covering her and she didnt have any teeth at all. The first one (baby boy) had some teeth.

Hope ate the after birth sometime, too. So that is good right?

She seems to be doing great. Eating and being her usual self. Should I give her a shot of penicillin? My dad says I should because of the trauma she went through.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She won't need ant pen unless you had to go inside her. Did she pass ALL of the birth contents? Placenta? She should do so within 12 hours of the miscarriage, don't let her go longer than 24 hours without delivering the afterbirth. If the doeling you found still had the sac on it then she likely knew it was dead and did not attempt to clean her...and she could have already passed the placenta and ate it if you didn't find it.

Also, watch her udder, if you want to milk her, start now....her milk is all colostrum at this point and you will not want to drink that, give her a week before you start using the milk for yourself.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I am so sorry. Sometimes those things happen. It's hard though when you wait that long for them only for something like that to happen. :hug: That is great though that momma is doing good. She won't need any pen, especially since she sounds like she's doing just fine.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Liz has some good points.

How are you holding up ? :hug:

12. Sorry for your loss. :hug:

I do recommend that if you milk the colostum out that you freeze it so you can use it should you need it later down the line, just my two cents worth.

Again I am sorry and in the future maybe a pen next to the current one will allow them to get to know the goats again before joining. Just a thought.

13. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thank you guys. Stacey, I am still upset over it.

We actually have two pens for the goats, but when we brought them back home the one pen was broken, and Kevin just hadn't had time to fix it. They had all run together fine before, but I guess these two just got used to being alone (well, with a billy only) again and got wild again :( They are all separated now.

It really makes me sad.

We now need to buy a kid for my daughter's 4H project, too.

she had eaten the placenta/whatever-that-is. She still seems fine to me, but I think my Dad still wants us to giver her penicillin....

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt give her penicillin there is no need to give her antibiotics when she isnt sick.

Sometimes these thing happen, wether we could have prevented them or not. :hug: :(

15. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I am sorry, Lawanda -- I know you were looking forward to these babies....

Has anyone thought of chlamydia-- could that have caused this?

16. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Chlamydia like the STD??

I know for sure that the bigger goats butted her. I actually thought of miscarriage when I saw them do it, and was kinda watching her. But both babies seemed to me to be moving a lot... Of course I hadn't had time to check her for several days and then this happened :(

And I was positive there were two by all the kicks I was feeling :love:

Anyway, I believe we may sell Patches and Belle after they kid. They aren't warming up to us at all, and Kevin really worked with them a lot. (I did too some, but they kinda scared me.)

I just hope I don't lose any more goats for a long while. We haven't even had our goats a year yet and have basically lost 3 already. It is discouraging :(

17. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Chlamydia in goats is a bacteria that can cause pink-eye, pneumonia, and late term abortions in does. It can also cause full term, but undersized and very weak kids. It can be treated with tetracycline, but is contagious and can affect others in your herd. Google it and see what you can find out.

18. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    But no matter how it happened, it's very sad. :shrug:

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sorry this happened. It is very hard to deal with. I was waiting to see how one of my does was doing, One of the other ones got her against the barn wall and beat the tar out of her. I was so worried and I have been really watching her. It has been two weeks so I am hoping she delivers fine.

Just remember, it all happens for a reason. It is hard as heck to understand but it does. :hug:

I agree with Stacey, I would NOT give her Penn or any antibiotic. If you do you risk the chance of her amune system going down to work on that when she really needs it.