Hopefully someone has the answer...

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Kimmerz Cali Kidz, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Kimmerz Cali Kidz

Kimmerz Cali Kidz Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Elverta, CA
    I just found that a flaw in Boer Goat breeds, are blue eyes...

Would this be considered blue eyes? Is there any chance that they would let it slide because her eyes are actually brown... Just lined with blue in the center....

:scratch:

Attached Files:

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Well, maybe since its not a full blown blue eye, but just marbling, they would let it slide. Is she registered? You could call a registration an ask them if it is a flaw, if its only a small amount of marbling.

3. Kimmerz Cali Kidz

Kimmerz Cali Kidz Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Elverta, CA
    :thumbup: Thanks! That's a good idea... Yes, she's a registered, purebred.... She was registered when I bought her... She'd even been to 4H shows a couple times... I don't know if they just missed it or what??

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would ask the Association about it....and describe to them... it isn't the whole eye........woe... I never seen blue.. at all in a boer... :shocked:

5. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    It's a shame it's considered a flaw. She has such pretty eyes.

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Those are marbled blue eyes...that means she can produce blue eyes...even crystal clear blue eyes. I would think that would be a flaw in a Boer goat. It also means that either her sire or dam was blue eyed....so if you've seen both her sire and dam in person and one of them didn't have blue eyes or marbled blue eyes.... then you likely didn't see her real sire. :(

7. Wow! That's looks so cool! Too bad it might be a fault. :(

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Calicopatch maybe you could ask the resident Judge here on GS in the "Ask the Judge" thread.
    I'd like to hear an explanation of why blue eyes are a fault.

9. Kimmerz Cali Kidz

Kimmerz Cali Kidz Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Elverta, CA
    ^ That's a good idea! I'll try that thanks!!

^Actually, She's only a purebred; 98.5% (Way back when; someone on her pedigree wasn't a boer!) So It's VERY possible that somewhere back off her 5 gen pedigree, Someone had blue eyes...

I hadn't either Pam... LOL! She's the first and only so far....

I agree w/ everyone who says, "sad it's a fault", Because I LOVE THEM TOO!! LOL, but I guess we have to have breed standards for a reason... Can you imagine what people would try to make their goats look like if we didn't??? :scratch:

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    One of my girls has slightly less blue marbling like that. First time I've ever seen it! I didnt notice it until a few months ago. She's 97% but not enough pig anywhere for show.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I think the blue eyes are beautiful...but Oh well... :roll:
    I would think though ...that she doesn't have enough to really effect her .....in a show.... :hug:

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its marbled and yes she can make blue eyed kids. itd be a judges call on if they caught it or not, imo i'd keep it out of thebloodlines

13. JT3

JT3 New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    She is fine :)

When you see blue eyes...you will know exactly what it looks like.. Theres no is it this is it that...its EASY to recognize. Its the whole eye not just the lining.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That's what I thought.... :thumbup: :hi5: :greengrin:

15. Kimmerz Cali Kidz

Kimmerz Cali Kidz Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Elverta, CA
    :stars: :wahoo: :stars:
    :dance: Thank you! :dance:

16. Sweetened

Sweetened Junior Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    :whatgoat:
    I don't mean to abduct your post and sound stupid (long time lurker, first time poster)...

Why are blue eyes considered a fault?

:oops:

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Never feel that way about posting a question... it is a great one...I wish I knew...so hopefully we will both hear an answer on it soon.... as I am very curious as to why myself.... :wink: :thumb: