Hope's Udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Epona142, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Here is Hope's udder. She kidded in February.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opinions?

I think she has a good medial, but could use better attachments. She's lopsided (it seems all my does are!) but that comes from nursing kids I imagine. You can't see much of the foreudder because she hasn't been shaved since before kidding, but I think its too abrupt. Good teat placement, small but easy enough to milk.

Not a very large udder, but she produces well, at least well enough for me. Average of 32 ounces a day.

Go easy on me! I'm trying very hard to learn. I know my does don't have excellent udders, so lay it all out for me so I can learn.

:)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what I first noticed was that she looks to have a smooth forudder - yes it might be short but smooth is rare as i stated in my post about Rudy's udder.

Could use a stronger medial suspensory ligament to hold her udder up higher. NIce wide rear attachement. Medial devision is good. Teats point out a bit far (takes quite a bit of breeding to get those straight down teats I have come to find).

3. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you for your assessment.

After comparing her and Rudy, I do realize Hope has a smoother fore udder.

:)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would like to see it shaved - I think it looks rather nice

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very nice, I love her medial as well as the smoothe blend to her fore, As Stacey said, a higher medial would bring her udder up a bit more.
    2 quarts is a good bit!

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I may get it shaved later on, she's starting to get all fuzzy again! I shaved her right before her kids were born, so need to do it again.

Liz - thank you for your opinion. Her output is increasing slowly, so we're quite happy with her. Never mind the fact she's my spoiled brat and I wouldn't sell her even if her udder shriveled up and fell off. :greengrin:

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Very nice! I agree with Liz and Stacey. :D But I would love to see it clipped!

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks! I will see about clipping her soon.