Hoping for the best...but worried. :(

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by FarmGirl18, Feb 23, 2009.

1. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    My very best Boer doe, Gauger, due March 12th, came down with Ketosis last week. I was doing some treatments myself, but decided just to take her to the vet since she is such a valuable doe. So she's been on IV Glucose there trying to make it until we can safely induce the kids. However she started going into labor this morning....17 days early. :( She was straining, and had a lot of discharge but her cervix wasn't open. So we are inducing labor because of concern for her health. So she should be kidding very soon. I don't know that there is much of a chance that the kids will make it...but I'm praying that somehow they will.

Keep her in your prayers.... :sigh:

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm so sorry *hugs* I do hope she will be ok. I must say that I dont think the babies can make it that early, but I hope all goes well!

LW

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I will be praying for her! :pray: :hug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry...... :( .......that is a touchy situation.....I pray that everything goes well ....... :pray:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats so sad! I understand the whole reasoning though. :pray:

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks ladies. We were trying to wait as long as we could, but since she started labor this morning, the inducing is basically just to get the cervix open...otherwise we're afraid we might lose her. :(

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    :pray: I know you are upset, but if its between saving her or losing her I'd choose the doe. She sounds like she's special to you. I do hope all goes well and that she pulls through. :hug:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We understand and sympathize with you.... :hug: :(

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that this has happened. Hopefully by some miracle the kid/s can make it. But the most important thing is your girl.

I will be thinking about you.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Bethany, I sure will be praying for a good outcome. :pray:

Please let us know. We are all pulling for you and the goats. :hug:

11. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how awfulllllllll that you have to make a choice like that. I am sooooooo sorrrrrrrrry. I hope she makes it through fine, and I hope that maybe the ketosis will clear up and give her a few more days. Maybe the dilating will be slow and give those babies a little more time. :hug:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Prayers are sent that your precious Gauger delivers safely, and has a quick recovery. Tough decision to make, but you made the right choice :hug:

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks so much everybody, you all mean a lot. :grouphug:

14. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Sorry this has happened, hope the doe does well. Our thoughts are with you. :hug:

15. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008
    Hope everything goes well. :pray:

16. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thank you guys. I called the vet while ago to get an update before they close, and no babies yet, they got another IV in, she kept messing the ones up in her neck so they had to put it in her ear. She perked up some with that, and is doing well. Babies should be born within the next 36 hours I guess.

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    shes at the vet? will someone be there all night?

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, IV's are a pain to keep in on goats.

Good luck! I am still praying for her. :pray:

19. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yeah IV's are no fun.

Yes she's at the vet, I don't think someone will be there all night, but they do check periodically. Thankfully our vet is only about 10 minutes away (yes I'm very blessed!), but we have our own construction company and my dad and brothers are out of town on a job...and their truck is in the shop so they had to take our other vehicle...meaning I don't have a car or I'd just go check on her myself.

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I absolutely hate it when they keep animals overnight with no one there. That is my biggest issue.

I refused, when I worked in a vet clinic, to let a hospitalized animal stay overnight with no vet on staff. I can remember numerous nights that I would sleep on the exam room chairs and wake every hour to do vitals and checks on my patients. I just could not bring myself to leave them there over night.