Hormones

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Sybil, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Mattie kidded tuesday with a single doe kid. Have had her locked up in a small pen as she is "wild as a March hare" and I would like to be able to catch her to milk her out daily. Don't really want to bottle feed and she can do much better job of feeding her kid than I ever can. Let her out last night to be with the herd and her and Cally are on the major head butting thing. Mattie is very bucky acting! Milked her out tonight and she is "bucky" to me.....but trying to bite and pull my hair. Let her out tonight and they are back at it. It has been many years since I have had this problem so can't remember how long this is going to last. Mattie is not making any points with me. I willing to work with her for a couple weeks on calming down and being a milk goat but I'm not that patient! Got to go and get her back in her pen......................
    Sue

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you keep separating her they wont have time to work it out. They need a good full 4 or 5 days to work out their new order. doesn't matter who was on top before the one doe kidding upset things and if she was the bottom doe she is now letter the other know that those are HER kids and she will protect them.

As to milking her. I had a skittish goat that was hard to get to stand still let alone catch to milk. she tamed down on the milking stand after a couple weeks but catching was still a problem. So I used grain, to lore her to it which worked great. But I had to make sure everyone else was tied up so they wouldnt' eat her grain. That took a lot of time especially when I am nto graining them.

So to make a long story longer I changed the way I milk. I took the milking stand out of the pen and I only let the girls out who are getting milked. Well wouldn't you know that they push to try to get out now. So it is whoever gets out first. THey quickly learned that if they go out of the pen and on the milking stand they get grain. I have willing does to be milked now :greengrin:

not sure if this helps you any? :shrug:

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    The way I handle new goats or separations is to leave them together all day long in the pasture but at night separate. I close all my goats up at night so I can't leave a goat to being repeatedily rammed all night. So we stall. When the new goat(s) or one who'd be separated is mingled into the herd during the day then I stop stalling at night. Works for us. Takes time sometimes, depending on the new goat(s) and the position the separated one is fighting for.

4. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Well she is in a much better mood today. No bucky behavior. No evil eye for Cally! Just the routine catch me if you can and the fight up onto the milk stand. At least she doesn't kick. Does try to lay down but I keep my cool. Turn her loose out into the pasture with the herd and she is being an angel. Would you believe she has one of the best udders in my herd and be so fearful to be handle. Just hope she comes around with time.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With persistance and routine she will, my nigi that freshened in January took awhile to get used to coming to me but once she realized the milk stand meant food she's the first one at the gate waiting for me :)