Horn Banding - Horn Came off Early

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by imaginationacres, Feb 7, 2011.

1. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Hello everyone, quick horn banding question.

After the disbudding failed on my 3 nigerian kids this past spring I went ahead and banded their horns on the 17th of January, their horns are more like large scurs rather than true strong horns. The kids are 10 months old now.

One of the kids Patches knocked one of his horns off today while I wasn't home, when I got home it was pretty bloody which I'm guessing means it came off too soon? There was no opening into the sinus or anything, the horn seems to have come off pretty cleanly. I put some iodine tincture on it to clean it and then because of the bleeding I also put the hot disbudding iron on it for a few seconds to stop the oozing blood. Anything else I should do for him? I can take a photo tomorrow when I get home from work if that would help.

Thank you!

2. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Bet you were horrified when you found him....I've had goats knock off scurs before and it is a bloody mess...usually looks worse then it actually is. At least it is winter and the blood won't be attracting bugs....I would make sure he has had a CD&T shot and just try and watch the area...sounds like you did a good job of handling the situation~ :wave:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    never did banding before but from what I hear there are chances for the horns to break out a bit sooner then the healing process.

You did right by cauterizing it and that should be all that is needed. But as I know you will do just watch for behavioral changes and the area for any issues where the open wounds are

4. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you Robynlynn and Stacey! :)

He is up to date on his CD&T and is acting normal just like his usual silly self. Its going to take some time getting used to seeing him with just one horn. The place where his horn was is scabbed over now and looks okay, I sprayed it with some Blue-Kote today after cleaning it off.

He is headbutting like usual and I think that is how he knocked it off too soon. Its amazing how much the scurs breaking off can bleed. Dude did that a few weeks back and my white goat Tambourine was covered in blood, I thought he'd been attacked but it was just from them headbutting one another! :laugh: