horn banding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Jan 19, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I am going to come into possession of two pygmy goat kids that were born a little while ago. Both are still young but too late to be disbudded. How old, or how big do the horns have to be before I can use elastrator bands to dehorn them?

They are both bucks. Can they be whethered any time (banding)?

Thanks

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am not too sure about the horn banding as I have never done it myself. Several people on here have experience with this and they can help. :)

As the the banding. It should be done soon. The longest I've waited to band was probably 8 weeks after birth. Much longer after this and they are too large for the band to fit over. How old are these kids?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree with Olivia - it is time - or you will be paying a vet to surgically have it done - and that can be expensive!! (I just paid 150.00 for a field castration on a Boer! and that was CHEAP!)

As far as banding the horns - I have done this many times. You can do it anytime, however, with nubbies - it is a little harder to get the bands to stay. You have wrap electrical tape just above (like 1/8 or 1/16th of and inch) where the horn meets the head. This allows the bands not to slip up. Or you can take a dremel and make a knick into the horn for the band to fit into. I have made the knick with me hoof trimming shears in a pinch before.

Since they are so young, it should take no time for them to fall off - maybe a couple weeks.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends -- some boys need to be banded at 4 weeks or the bands wont fit othertimes they can be banded at 12 weeks. I know of people who used a cow bander and banded an adult buck who was a year old.

I have never banded horns but from what I hear the sooner the better as it is less painful and works faster. Colder months are better too because there are no flies.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmm....It is preferable to band as younger bucklings, but my mom has banded large dairy kids at 4 months old with no problems and a 2 year old nigi buck...all did as it should have...shriveled up and fell off. :shrug:

I've never done the horns but as Allison said she has and knows how it works.

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I dont recommend surgical dehorning... YES I have done it (well the vet did) YES it was traumatic and NO I'd never do it again!!!

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    If you can get both testicles in the elastrator, you can castrate them that way. As for the horns, If they are still pretty young, you may actually be able to dehorn them with a disbudding iron. My friend has one that is bigger than her RhinehartX30. It has a loop where you burn. She's used it on kids up to about a month or two old and also on older bucklings with bad scurs. If you band the horns, cut little notches at the base of the horn to keep the band in place.